What do you want in your life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaixin

Cook
Five years ago, I visited Si Chuan. I really enjoyed that place especially the culture. When I was there I visited the ancient streets and found some interesting things. One afternoon, I found a small teahouse. Inside, there were mostly old people having tea and listening to a story teller. I sat down, ordered some tea and listened. Though he used the Si Chuan language, I could still understand it. He was very funny and the people laughed a lot. After the laughter, the people were able, from the story, to understand about the life more. I remember very clear what he said, “everybody when they are born, their hands are clenched in a fist. When they die, their hands are open and outstretched. This tells us, when you come into this world you want to have many things, you want to hold on to those things. However, when you die you take nothing with you, you have to let it all go.

This went very deeply into my mind, I never forgot it.

I told all my friends this story and they all agreed with the moral it contained. They also told me that it is easy to understand, but not so easy to do. Yes, in the world, how many people can truly understand life? I am a normal person, I need keep telling myself this basic truth.

When my father was very sick, he still showed a happy heart when he faced us. I talked to my father about his life, he said to me, “I am not worry to die, now I look back my life, I had the best wife and three great children. I am not rich in the money; I am rich in my heart. I made many mistakes, but I never deliberately harmed anybody. I tried my best to help people. I have some good friends around me, I done many things to help my friends and help other people. My life enough. I can’t take anything to the other world, I know this, but my life has been worthwhile. It was worth living.” When he told me this, it reminded me again the Si Chuan storyteller.

I think a lot, I asked myself, “what do you want in your life? Many properties? Many things? When I die, can I, like my father say, “My life enough. It was worth living.”

I hope I can.

Now, my parents have past way. They couldn’t take any ‘things’ with them. Those ‘things’ they gave us. More importantly, they left us their love and a way to face the life.

I keep asking myself, “what do you want?” My heart tells me just one answer, “to be happy with what you have!” When I think about this answer, I am feeling easy with my life.

Ask yourself, what do you want? Are you happy with what you have?

I am of Asian origin. My father is Asian and I cook lots of Asian dishes because to me they are healthier. But I also cook French, Italian, German, Australian dishes. I am an Australian but live here in the US. I still have my house in Australia (Melbourne) and was born in Ballarat. One of our 3 kids over there lives in our house to take care of it for us. Now that is me. Now back to you:

Your stories are nice and your recipes sound very appetizing but I want to request something of you -- can you post photos of your recipes as well as the recipes? It will be nice.

Thanks,
Cooper'sMom

xie xie

I will post a picture in the forum from now on.

I do not want to take away from this forum, but if you go to my website, kaixin (click the link beside my signature, Xiaosui) there are photos posted there along with many articles you may find of interest.

zai jian

Back
Top Bottom