Best Food Processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mav'sWife

Assistant Cook
If anyone could please help out -

I need recommendations on the best food processor available - around 12 cup capacity. Most concerned about whether most of the parts are made out of metal as opposed to plastic and how durable the motor is.

I'm looking to spend up to around $200, perhaps more, if the model is worth it.

Secondly, any advice on where to procure: websites and/or stores where a good model can be purchased - refurbished is okay as long as it's a quality processor.

Thanks ahead of time.

Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart are reliable commonly available brands. I've had an11 cup Cuisinart for many years and it does all I need.

Robo Coupe also make a good FP but I believe thay are more expensive.

I usually just search the internet for deals when I need something. A site that has the best prices today may not tomorrow. Lately, I ahve been getting some of the best deals from Amazon when you factor in shipping costs.

Robo Coupe is the best. It's the only brand I've seen and used in professional kitchens. However, like Andy said, it's going to be more expensive than what you normally see in a home kitchen. For your budget I would recommend Cuisinart. I have that at home and it works.

I can't remember what brand I have at home (I rarely use it) but the grater disk had a plastic insert that broke it's first use.

I have a 14 cup Cuisinart that I absolutely LOVE! It will turn a roast into ground beef in no time. It mixes dough, chops, shreds, slices, everything. I think it was around $300 but I had a coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond for 20% off so it turned out to be around $270. The motor hasn't struggled to do anything I've wanted it to do. It even came with a "How To" Video as well as a recipe book.

Here is a link to a Linens-n-Things 20% off printable coupon. I think it's the same price there. If you don't have a LNT, most BB&B takes competitors coupons. Here's the link: LNT 20% off coupon

Last edited:
I'm with Mama - I've had the 14 cup Cuisinart for several years now and it has never failed me. I can even knead bread in it. Nice and heavy duty, easy to clean up...next to my KitchenAid mixer, it's the most important appliance in my kitchen.

I have a KitchenAid and I love it. Heavy duty, and very efficient. KitchenAid has a store on Ebay, and you can get a 12 cup for about 139 bucks plus shipping.

Kitchen Aid

I also agree, I have heard Kitchen Aid is a reliable and well-established brand name.

I have a Cuisinart and am happy with it. I have several different discs , slicing, grating, shredder , fry cutter and have used them all.

I have a KitchenAid 14 cup professional model. It has 2 smaller work bowls, as well, so it's really versatile. I think it works very well. However, it is large in size, so you need sufficient counter space.

Thanks everyone for the info! Sounds like I can't go wrong with either KitchenAid or Cuisinart products. I will take a look at their websites, as was suggested, and pick which model from each I like. Then go shopping online and off and try and narrow it down to just one!

Second question, what does everyone consider the essential accessories to have? And which ones are nice to have? I saw many mentioned already, but I need a good idea of what would be considered a good starting package to have out of all those available.

Karen,
DH is doing OK now, he is still under the weather right now but hopes to be back up and around soon and back to his computer. He does thank everyone for their concern.

Mav'sWife said:
DH is doing OK now, he is still under the weather right now but hopes to be back up and around soon and back to his computer. He does thank everyone for their concern.

Be sure to give Maverick my best regards!! Tell him a few sips of bourbon will make him smile!!!!

My Cuisinart 14 cup Power Prep Plus comes with all kinds of attachment. I've never needed anything else.

The best price I've seen on the internet for it is $223.99 at Dusky's Department Store

I hope Mav feels better soon!

Thanks Uncle Bob and Mama and EssieBunny. I suppose I should have been more specific about what I am using it for. He has a bread machine that takes care of his dough needs, so this is mainly for chopping, slicing, dicing, making soups, smoothies, that kind of thing. So I just need to make sure whichever one I get has all the necessary attachments to do all that he wants.

The thing I love about the Cuisinart is that it can be used with the standard center blade for pureeing, blending, chopping, making pie crust, etc. But I also have an assortment of attachments that will dice, slice, and grate. Then, the plastic center blade works well for kneading bread. Great, versatile machine> Please be sure to say hi to Buddy for me and tell him we all miss him very much!

Can I sneak a question in here?
When you say "slice", do you mean slice like buying a hunk of meat and making your own sliced lunchmeat? My sister used to have a meat slicer and got rid of it years ago. Now, I sure wouldn't mind having something that could slice meat, but was more multi-functional.

pacanis said:
When you say "slice", do you mean slice like buying a hunk of meat and making your own sliced lunchmeat?

Hmmmm, in a word, "no." I don't think it will slice meat, or even tomatoes. It does a whiz bang job of slicing cucumbers (very thin), radishes, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, other stuff that has some substance to it. You really need a genuine meat slicer for that. I have always longed for just such an appliance, to get really really thin slices of ham, roast beef, cheese, etc. Don't really have room for it, but I may give in to my longing some day anyway.

Thanks, Karen.
I was hoping......
That meat slicer my sister had was one nice machine, but not something you'd use very often. I guess that's what she got rid of it. Someone needs to come up with a hinged food processor you could tilt up, change the blade and use it to slice meat :)

Back
Top Bottom