Tip For The Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
A new topic for those of us who have been around a stove, or bbq, or oven a couple of times, for those who don't have quite as much experience. Feel free to leave a ehlpful tip anytime you think of one.

Goodweed's tip for today; When baking a pie that has signigicant juice or liquid, first, blind-bake the bottom crust after brushing on a light coating of eggwash. Make sure to poke it, to let steam escape, or it will bubble. The baked-on eggwash will seal the bottom crust from the filling moisture, keeping it light and flakey while the filling and top crust bake to perfection.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When boiling potato, fill the pot with the water just barely covering the top of potato. Potato doesn't like water it becomes clossy and robery if it sucks up too much water. Also add salt to water only after the water already boiled.

I love these threads. Finding it reminded me of the other ones where I learned a lot of really good information.

Spend about a hundred bucks on one good knife.
It'll pay for itself over and over again in all it'll do for you.
My Wusthof 7" chef knife cost me one hundred well spent dollars.
I wish I'd have seen this set at the time of buying mine online.

If you have long hair like I do, it's smart in the kitchen to restrain it.
I just found one of mine in the dinner I'm starting early today.
Husband hates finding one long straggly thing in his refried beans even if it is mine...

I love these threads. Finding it reminded me of the other ones where I learned a lot of really good information.

If you have long hair like I do, it's smart in the kitchen to restrain it.
I just found one of mine in the dinner I'm starting early today.
Husband hates finding one long straggly thing in his refried beans even if it is mine...
Hubby can't see paying that much for one knife. If I had my own money I would buy one.

When slicing a hard boiled egg, try wetting the knife just before
[SIZE=-1]cutting. If that doesn't do the trick, try applying a bit of[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]cooking spray to the edge.[/SIZE]
Another tip I use for hard boiled egg slicing is to use a egg slicer.

Don't fry naked.
A thermometer will cure Fear of Frying quite well. Oil temperature is PARAMOUNT!

Don't chop with your eyes closed.
When chopping, a slight angle to the knife away from the item will help keep the slices from falling into the blade.

Don't grill with gasoline.
It is a good idea to always check your grill's gas level BEFORE you get to grilling.

Need superfast breadcrumbs?

Take a rolling pin to a bag of store-bought croutons! Easy!

Want bearnaise sauce without the time consuming hassle?

Make white sauce and toss the bearnaise ingredients into it.

Put an end to dry fish. Dip in spiced cornmeal,then buttermilk,then cornmeal again. Pop in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes(salmon fillets).

quote]

awww, i love my wusthoff!!! (santoku)

I like to nuke my lemons before I squeeze gits all of the juice. And when I peel grapfruit I drop them in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes the skin just slides off and no whith pith is left behind

quote]

awww, i love my wusthoff!!! (santoku)

I remember a few months ago when a local Dr. had asked me if I had gotten ridden of my Wusthoff knive after it sent me to the clinic for stitches........I looked at him like he was nuts.......are you kidding this thing cost me a $100.......and I love it and it's sharp........it's my fault that I tried to catch it before it fell into the toilet and chip itself on the porcelain and I didn't know the laws of gravity, etc., it's not the knife's fault

I remember a few months ago when a local Dr. had asked me if I had gotten ridden of my Wusthoff knive after it sent me to the clinic for stitches........I looked at him like he was nuts.......are you kidding this thing cost me a $100.......and I love it and it's sharp........it's my fault that I tried to catch it before it fell into the toilet and chip itself on the porcelain and I didn't know the laws of gravity, etc., it's not the knife's fault

A question ... you used the knife in a bathroom?

Expat, I was talking to hubby at work on the phone while I was cutting something in the kitchen one day <--- [yea, ME] and I said loudly, "uht oh, honey I have to go NOW". He asked what was wrong and I told him I'd just cut off the tip of my thumb.........................................I superglued it and butterflied it and it did 'sort of' heal.:(

Back
Top Bottom