asking for help about seasoned wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cvera

Assistant Cook
hi, this is the first time i am using carbon steel wok. and I follow the instruction, try to have that black cover on it by seasoning. But my seasoning is not done very good enough, so some area is brown yellow, some area is black. but it is really impossible for me to make the whole 14''wok black with wood handel which can't taken down ...after the seasoning when i am cooking...I use stainless steel truner(is this the right word), and then sometimes i could see there is some small black and yellow thing in my dish. I know that is from the cover because some area of the cover
is not intact...
so what should i do? is that normal? and i am not even sure whether it is safe to eat my dish...
sorry for my english...I am an International student who just move to america...

does that have anything to do with the fact that I like to add some water even stirfly because i don't want food to get burned, and also after i wash the wok, I always wipe it with some vegetable oil...i am worried that it will get rusty, because the cover is not intact..

Sorry, I can't really follow what you are asking....

I can tell you that I bought a carbon steel wok years ago, the one advertised on TV all the time as "hand hammered by the Chinese". I don't remember seasoning it. I simply remember it developing that black seasoned look from use. Washing it out was simply using that bamboo scraper thingy that came with it and hot water, then wiping a little oil in it.

Hope that's kinda what you're after

thanks for your reply! I feel quite desparate about it.
I tried to season it..and I read from this forum that we need to have a black coat through seasoning. so i work very hard on that the whole afternoon. but as i start to cook, the black coat was broken, and the black thing kept on drop down. so i get more and more black things in my dishes...it is terrible. do you get black things in your dishes, which is from the black coat

No, I never got black in my dishes when I used it, but my seasoning of the wok was done "naturally", by use. Maybe that makes a difference as the seasoning was burnt in so to speak. And it didn't happen overnight.
Clean it, use it, see what happens.

i see. may i ask do you add some water when cooking? I like to add water even when stir flying, will that affect?
and the spatula i use is stainless steel. does that make a difference as well because it will scrap the coating...

Look, I'm no wok expert, so here's my final "rememberance" of when I used my wok.
I used a carbon spatula, so SS (Stainless steel) should be fine. I used water and other liquids also. The seasoning just sort of happened.

Good luck and good cooking with your new wok!

Carbon steel woks come covered in some sort of coating. A thick oil often. Scrub this off with hot water and soap. Where your black seasoning is coming off, it's probably because you didn't get this coating off completely.

Dry. Heat on the burner to completely dry. Rub in shortening or wipe on oil evenly. Heat on high about 15 minutes and have the windows open and the fans going as it will smoke. Let cool.

It will be like you described where it's black in the bottom, then brown then often yellow. towards the top. The yellow part often feels tacky to the touch as its no fully seasoned, but will protect the wok.

You can take some more time to tilt the pan as you season it so the upper parts get heated fully and turns black. It will get darker over all with more cooking and use.

Back
Top Bottom