Bacon left out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sedagive

Senior Cook
So I was making bacon, avocado cheeseburgers tonight and cooked the bacon in the microwave. I didn't take it out of the microwave when it was cooked and soon forgot about it. I just realized it's still sitting there and I'm wondering if it would still be good to eat. I know bacon is cured, which makes me think it is less likely to spoil as quickly as other foods. It's been out 4 hours now. I've seen cooked bacon in coffee shops that just sits out waiting to be used. Should I chance it?

I wouldnt chance it but maybe reheat it if you do chance it.

I think since it is cured and has a large salt content you might be fine.

I say make more or skip it

before all of the "don't risk it" people chime in, eat it quickly, sed. ;)

2 hours is their mantra, but i'd think cured, cooked meat would be ok for 4 hours.

if you feel sick later, it's their fault for responding so slowly, anyway...

I am one of those "don't risk it" people Bucky was talking about, but even I would have taken the chance with the bacon. 4 hours IS past the 2 hour window, but none of this is exact. Bacon is loaded with salt which will help as well. Plus, there are very few things I am willing to risk my life over, but bacon happens to be one of them ;)

I have heard that Elvis Presley used to keep a plate of bacon on his piano on a regular basis, and just graze off of it all day. I used to shudder, the thought of eating cold bacon. But seemingly, no ill effects. (Well, if you discount the pudgy face and fat rolls under the sequined cape.)

Trust me... restaurants keep it around for longer than 4 hours for use in salads, on sandwiches etc..

Sedagive:

Without getting too technical, cooked bacon would be safe for at least 4 hours or so but it would have to be cooked at least "medium" for lack of a better word.

The reason is due to something in food safety called water activity or Aw. This is a measure of how much "free water" a food has, that is water that is not tied up in other food molecules.

Bacteria need this free water to grow. The Aw scale is 0 to 1. Anything below .86 is considered safe at room temperature. Cooked bacon's Aw is less than .86, as the free water is driven out during cooking. Raw or undercooked bacon would not be safe.

The reason that you have seen bacon sitting out at the local eatery is because the health department knows about water activity. You will notice that the bacon has been pre-cooked to medium and then finished on order.

So your bacon may or may not be safe depending on how well you cooked it originally. I would guess safe, however, since my microwave always seems to overcook my bacon.

I hope this "saves you bacon" :angel: Hey, someone had to say it:ROFLMAO:

Reheat it, and then eat it...but you have to make sure it gets over 140 when you reheat it, don't just warm it.

I am one of those "don't risk it" people Bucky was talking about, but even I would have taken the chance with the bacon. 4 hours IS past the 2 hour window, but none of this is exact. Bacon is loaded with salt which will help as well. Plus, there are very few things I am willing to risk my life over, but bacon happens to be one of them ;)

:LOL:
I feel the same way. I put the bacon in the fridge last night and heated it up for breakfast this morning. It tasted good and I feel fine. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Sedagive

Back
Top Bottom