Sauteing rice question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summerf

Assistant Cook
Hi, I recently received a recipe from a friend called "Luisa's Chicken Casserole". It is from Great American Recipes Card 25. In the recipe it says to saute 1 cup of converted rice in oil in the skillet. You also add cut up red peppers. You end up putting all the ingredients in the oven with 3 cups of boiled chicken broth and bake uncovered at 350 for one hour. My question is: do they mean to cook the rice first or do you saute raw rice?

P.S. Has anyone ever heard of these Great American Recipe Card recipes and if so can I buy them anywhere. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Summerf

P.S. I can type in all of the recipe of that is helpful. Just let me know.

Yes, you just saute the raw rice. Rice baked in the oven this way is simply wonderful! Sometime, for another recipe, add some sprigs of fresh thyme to it. You can also use beef broth too according to recipe and menu.

If the rice takes on a bit of a toasty color it is even better!

Last edited:
Yeah, sauteing the raw rice both coats the rice, and if it browns gives it a great toasted/ nutty like flavor. I do the same when making the rice to stuff my grape leaves ( which ill be doing today or tomorrow )

Yes, sounds like you need to saute raw rice to begin with. The amount of liquid though, seems a bit much. When cooking rice on the stove-top, I use a 2 to 1 ratio (liquid to rice). When I bake the rice like you describe, I use less liquid - typically 1.5 to 1 or 1.75 to 1, depending on the type of rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom