I no longer have to be jealous of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
...all you people that have tamale vendors, etc. I knew we had a Latino market downtown and thought maybe........just maybe.......they would have homemade tamales. OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!! Did they ever!!! I had some margaritas in the freezer and had a bit of a "hankering" for them! Brought home 10 (they were $12.50 or something like that) and they were heavenly!!!!!!!!!! They came in a bag with 5, so, is $6.something about right on the money (pun intended) for 5? There was a definite language barrier so I had no clue as to what I was getting. There seemed to be a mix of "flavors"...just don't know what they were except sometimes really hot! :ohmy::LOL:. I was in heaven!!

There was a thread not too long ago that talked about this and I was sooooooooo jealous! I can't wait to try their other food too!

oh if you like pork at all you have to buy some pre-made carnita meat!!! Every Mexican market that I have even had their carnita meat from their hot dishes, just melted in your mouth! So tender and flavorful....don't think about calories though:blink::ohmy:

In an apt I lived in, in Cali a few years ago we had this little old lady (like in her 90's old!!) thats always walked around with a shopping cart selling homemade tamales...she would yell out over and over again in her deep accent....Taaaaammmmmaaaallllleeessssss.........what ever I was doing I always had to say it with her till she was gone! You just couldn't help but sing it along with her! :):LOL:

That IS something else they had - carnita!!! They also had a step above pork rinds - it was a huge slab of pork rind probably 12" x 24"!!!! I'll go back to fully look at everything. There was some kind of meat there, couldn't tell what it was as the cut wasn't familiar but it was VERY dark. They had a great little section of fresh produce too! What else should I look for?

OK - this is something I don't normally see. They had trays of eggs sitting on top of the meat counter wrapped probably 24 to a carton/tray. OK, there's no doubt in my mind that it must be "safe" but I need convincing.

Well I know where I used to live I bought alot of raw meat from them in bulk for super cheap! 10 lb bags of chicken for 3.00!! I would take it home, seperate it into freezer bags and it would last me forever (I lived alone then) also I always bought BLS country style pork ribs in bulk from them super cheap.

I'm sure you have tried them or at least heard of them but the Goya line of marinades and seasonings are wonderful! I just bought a bottle of Bitter orange to make my own Mojo marinade...wonderful stuff! Aslo their bottled premade Mojo marinade for chicken and pork is really great for a easy quick dinner (has garlic, cumin, and different citris juices) awsome for grilling!

I have no idea what the eggs were, I know they like pickled eggs....or maybe it was one of those eggs where the bury them in the ground to preserve them:huh: I'm not that brave!

You'll be addicted now, KE! I know how lucky I am to be able to drive less than a mile in any direction and be able to get fresh, home made tamales, beans & rice, and home made flour tortillas. Mexican food ROCKS!!!!!

When I moved from Houston to MA 20 years ago, Mexican food hadn't been "discovered" up there yet and I couldn't get my tamale or burrito fix. I finally found a Taco Bell in Woonsocket, RI. I swear, I went there once a week and bought $20 worth of burritos, which lasted me for the week! If I had been able to cook back then, I would have been much less homesick!

FM - I'm addicted and so is my DH - they are awesome! Can't wait to get back and try the other stuff.

dee - the eggs weren't pickled but maybe that's what they were for? I don't know. They were "worrisome" sitting there on the counter in the open - it wasn't exactly cool in there. But I recall something about eggs not having to be refrigerated anyway if used in a certain amount of time??????

FM - I'm addicted and so is my DH - they are awesome! Can't wait to get back and try the other stuff.

dee - the eggs weren't pickled but maybe that's what they were for? I don't know. They were "worrisome" sitting there on the counter in the open - it wasn't exactly cool in there. But I recall something about eggs not having to be refrigerated anyway if used in a certain amount of time??????

My sister kept her fresh eggs in a basket on the counter, made her feel more "country" for up to a week. The thing is, they had TOO many chicks and were giving all of us some, well, I stopped wanting any when I cracked one open and half a baby chick was inside, :sick: no thank you!! I know that it wasn't from sitting on the counter, but, from being under momma too long, but, still, that threw me off of any eggs that werent in a styrofoam container!!:LOL:

My sister kept her fresh eggs in a basket on the counter, made her feel more "country" for up to a week. The thing is, they had TOO many chicks and were giving all of us some, well, I stopped wanting any when I cracked one open and half a baby chick was inside, :sick: no thank you!! I know that it wasn't from sitting on the counter, but, from being under momma too long, but, still, that threw me off of any eggs that werent in a styrofoam container!!:LOL:

should hold the eggs up to a light to see if there is a chick or not in it. ;)

I have volunteered so many times to help out around the holidays with families who need extra hands in the kitchen for the purpose of making tamales. I am hoping someone will just think I'm being helpful, truth is, I WANT SOME OF THOSE WONDERFUL MORSELS.
A lady in beauty school was from Guatemala and used to bring us her home made tamales using pork, potatoes and pineapple. She'd cook/steam them in banana leaves from her back yard. Were they good, oh my goodness were they goooooooooooooooooooooood

Back
Top Bottom