Help ID these plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I found two plants near my property line and have no idea as to what they are. They definately were not there last year.

Plant #1: Somewhat of a vine with little Ikea Lamp Shade shaped.....tinkerbells and a pod inside full of goo and little tiny white seeds.

img_684457_0_dd86bd46013a173c6a38b6e555226e75.jpg

img_684457_1_27bca6ae2acaac62947ba147f687f086.jpg

Plant #2: Another vine-like plant with little clusters of green berries that turn purple like blueberries. I tossed a section of the ripe ones before I figured I would take some pics....just imagine they're purple. lol

img_684457_2_f5523f908ddd87a151322bf40cfc44c9.jpg

img_684457_3_2f5519fa503bde033317b22aeb5fb2da.jpg

Depressing.....

img_684457_4_7a01253149f4514968fe989a4d5d6df6.jpg

The top one looks like mini tomatillos!!.....but thats just a wild guess, so don't take my word for anything!
I have seen the second one before grow wild around here as well but have no idea what they are......sorry wasn't much help!:rolleyes:

Whoa! Thanks Lee. I woulda never thought they turned orange, how cool.

The berries are more like little clusters along the vine rather than a big cluster. Kind of like cherry tomatoes.

Great.:glare: Says the Lanterns are "vigorous" and an underground barrier should be utilized. I guess I'll yank it up and see if it stays in a pot.

The other one is in the solanium family, and is some type of nightshade, probably black nightshade (pokeweed is also in that family). It is poisonous, berries, leaves and all, although the old-timers used it in a concoction for getting rid of intestinal worms.

The other one is in the solanium family, and is some type of nightshade, probably black nightshade (pokeweed is also in that family). It is poisonous, berries, leaves and all, although the old-timers used it in a concoction for getting rid of intestinal worms.

Thanks....that answers that.

...now where's my weedwacker? :mrgreen:

We used to call the first one Chinese gooseberries and used to eat them once they had turned roange.. I think their proper name is psyphalis (Sp)

Jeekinz: Could it be this? Looks like UCHUVA, a little tart fruit, good in salads, en jams, and could be eaten just as it comes out of the "cover". Please see this address for more information.
uchuva on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Uchuva.jpg

Features Specifications: Uchuva

Certification: EUREPGAP
Uchuva from Colombia. Cape gooseberriesPhysalis peruvianaCape gooseberries, also known as physalis are a favourite exotic fruit in Europe.Indigenous to Colombia and peru, the early settlers at the cape of good hope grew cape gooseberries before 1807.Colombia specializes in the production of this unique fruit making it available year-round. It's grown in cold, subtropical regions throughout the country.The fruit is ripe when the cape has a golden color and the berry is yellow-orange in appearance. It possesses a verySweet but tart flavor making them very appealing for many different dishes.Often canned whole and preserved as jam, cape gooseberries are also sold fresh and used for sauces, pies, puddings, chutneys or eaten fresh in fruit salads.Due to their high content of vitamin a, calcium and phosphorus they are reported to help control diabetes, clean the blood and aid in the treatment of the prostate gland. They also aid in digestion.

Hmmm. I guess alot of plants look simillar to this one. I'll wait a few weeks and see what it does.

How big are those Uchuvas? The fruit part, that is.

What are these????

Don't have a name. The "bell" shape should turn orange. We call them
jack-o-laterns. They are now green and left to mature (if this is it) will
turn orange. Dried...they are used in dry arrangements.

Who really knows?

The top one is definitely a tomatillo plant because I have some growing in my yard. These are pictures of mine.

When the tomatillos fill the husk make some of this:

Salsa Verde

about 14 tomatillos
4 chile peppers (I prefer serrano)
2 or 3 garlic cloves (I prefer 4)
maggi sauce (usually in the store near worchestershire sauce or on the Mexican aise--I use 1/4 tsp dried maggi bouillon)
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp powdered chicken boullion
salt to taste
1 bunch of cilantro (a handful)
1 onion
1/2 fresh lime juiced

Fry the tomatillos and chiles in a pan until golden. Blend them up with the garlic, sauces, and salt. Add water to desired consistency. After it's blended add cilantro, onion and lime juice. (I actually prefer the onion blended with the rest, but that's not how my friend told me to do it).

Attachments

• tomatillo.jpg
    tomatillo.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 270
  • tomatillo cage.jpg
    tomatillo cage.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 238
Oh no, I looked at your picture again. I can't see the leaves very well in yours, but I think they are different than mine, so maybe it's not a tomatillo. Well I hope it is because that salsa is really good!

I think the first one is what I call Chinese lanterns, physalis. Here's a picture of them when mature.

Attachments

• Chinese lanterns.jpg
    Chinese lanterns.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 237
Back
Top Bottom