Balsamic flavored olive oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I have a recipe that calls for 2 Tbl spoons of Balsamic flavored olive oil. (to brush on pork chops before grilling) Can I just use olive oil and balsamic vinegar? If so about how much?
Thanks.

I would use 1 T balsamic and 1T olive oil.

If you are going to grill them I would probably use a little extra oil.

Still use your 2 TBS of oil and then maybe a TBS or so of balsamic - it really doesn't matter in the big picture - you are just sauteeing in it. However much you would normally use to saute in will be fine.

First I want to thank "Lizannd" How ever I needed a little more info. but thank you.

Second how do you quote more than one person at a time?

Still use your 2 TBS of oil and then maybe a TBS or so of balsamic - it really doesn't matter in the big picture - you are just sauteeing in it. However much you would normally use to saute in will be fine.

Thank you. That helps.
You did say normally though and I dont have a normally yet. I'm still learning, and I "normally' do what the recipe says. :LOL: I am trying though.

No problem - I understand!!!!

First, let me say that I have an olive oil bottle with a pourer on it. With that in mind this is what I do: To saute how many ever chicken breasts I would "normally" run the olive oil bottle around the pan a couple times and then tilt and swirl the olive oil to coat well. A "run" around a small pan will just use less olive oil. You'll get the hang of how much to use. You don't want the chicken swimming in the olive oil but you want enough so the chicken doesn't stick, either.

If you really need amounts I'd say for a small skillet a TBS should do the trick - for a larger pan, sauteing maybe 4 chicken breasts, you might be looking at 3 TBS or even 4 TBS (which is 1/4 cup) - just depending on the size of your skillet. You want to coat with olive oil, not create depth. I hope that explanation helps.

No problem - I understand!!!!

First, let me say that I have an olive oil bottle with a pourer on it. With that in mind this is what I do: To saute how many ever chicken breasts I would "normally" run the olive oil bottle around the pan a couple times and then tilt and swirl the olive oil to coat well. A "run" around a small pan will just use less olive oil. You'll get the hang of how much to use. You don't want the chicken swimming in the olive oil but you want enough so the chicken doesn't stick, either.

If you really need amounts I'd say for a small skillet a TBS should do the trick - for a larger pan, sauteing maybe 4 chicken breasts, you might be looking at 3 TBS or even 4 TBS (which is 1/4 cup) - just depending on the size of your skillet. You want to coat with olive oil, not create depth. I hope that explanation helps.

Ok thanks. That helps alot. :)

Just out of curiosity can you post the ingredients exactly a written? And, did it come from a magazine/book/etc? Just curious where it came from, that's all. I'm always looking for new recipes.

Thanks - and I had to delete your post - copyright issues - sorry. If anyone wants it though I can PM it to them.

It looks really good!

EVOO AND Herbs very popular

The olive oil comes in small bottles and it is trendy. Many herbs and the olive oil. Place a little flavlored oil and dip small pieces of bread and eat.

The olive oil comes in small bottles and it is trendy. Many herbs and the olive oil. Place a little flavlored oil and dip small pieces of bread and eat.

Thank you. I never did find any so I did what kitchenelf said. They tasted very good.

Oh sorry. But thanks for offering to share it.

No problem! It's one of those things we do here - protect DC from getting sued over posting copyrighted material. Now I'm going to be on the lookout for balsamic-flavored olive oil - not that I will buy it 'cause I can make my own. :chef:

In my mind, balsamic flavored olive oil would be oil and vinegar salad dressing. When I make oil and acid dressings, I use a 4 - 1 ratio. If using it for basting, it should not make much difference, just don't overdo the acid.

Yes we can make our own

kitchenelf, I am with you. I take EVOO and place herbs in it. I grow my own herbs...so I can make my own. Fun and delicious.

kitchenelf, I am with you. I take EVOO and place herbs in it. I grow my own herbs...so I can make my own. Fun and delicious.

This can be very dangerous. You can get botulism from it which can kill or cripple you.

If you do this with fresh herbs make sure you refrigerate the oil and use or throw away within 10-14 days.

Back
Top Bottom