Scotch Whiskey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gogoguy

Assistant Cook
I've never had scoth whiskey before and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the best brand and what's a good mixer. I was interested in trying it with club soda; since, I just read The Catcher in the Rye again and was interested in having what Holden always drank. Is it any good though?:wacko:

gogoguy said:
Is it any good though?

Some people love it..to the point of drinking it exclusively...Others hate it!! Some say it is an acquired taste..only becoming acceptable to the palate over time. One way to try different brands is to buy the little miniature bottles (50ml). For the price of a good bottle of Scotch, you can try several labels, types, etc. From there you can decide if you like Scotch, and maybe gain some insight in to what type etc. you like.

Enjoy in moderation!

Adding to UB, I would not recommend any mixer. Just over a little ice, the water will open its bouquet. Johnnie Walker is a good start, and the most common, imo. there are a HUGE selection of upscale, artisean whiskeys too, but be prepared to pay accordingly.

Personally, I like the smokey peaty ones.

It's spelled Whisky, if it's a true Scotch, as a starter. :mrgreen"

I'm an Islay kind of guy, and I *adore* my single malts. Rarely will a blend pass these lips.

Oh, single malt scotches, I learned about them visiting scotch distilleries and where they age them in Scotland, they are awesome. I had some in 2003, it's a special treat. I can't afford my tastes. Whew! The older the better, then smoother......mmmm.

Adding to UB, I would not recommend any mixer. Just over a little ice, the water will open its bouquet. Johnnie Walker is a good start, and the most common, imo. there are a HUGE selection of upscale, artisean whiskeys too, but be prepared to pay accordingly.

Personally, I like the smokey peaty ones.

Johnnie Walker Black Label is my favourite, here's this weeks specials at our local http://www.danmurphys.com.au/images/ads/qld/qld_25.09.08.pdf how do these prices compare to yours.

Back
Top Bottom