Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Non-alcoholic Drinks (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f122/)
-   -   Lapsang Souchong (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f122/lapsang-souchong-50434.html)

GB 09-22-2008 02:01 PM

Lapsang Souchong

I went to my local tea shop last week and bought a number of different teas I had not tried before. One of them was Lapsang Souchong.

This tea is really interesting. It is like drinking a campfire. This is a smoked tea. If I am correct it is dried over pine wood fires. Every sip I take brings me back to feeling like I am camping. I feel like I am sitting around the fire or crawling out of my tent.

If you like smoky flavors then I highly recommend trying Lapsang Souchong.

pacanis 09-22-2008 02:11 PM

Oh those memories of sitting around the campfire.....
YouTube - Campfire scene from Blazing Saddles

elaine l 09-22-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 689778)
I went to my local tea shop last week and bought a number of different teas I had not tried before. One of them was Lapsang Souchong.

This tea is really interesting. It is like drinking a campfire. This is a smoked tea. If I am correct it is dried over pine wood fires. Every sip I take brings me back to feeling like I am camping. I feel like I am sitting around the fire or crawling out of my tent.

If you like smoky flavors then I highly recommend trying Lapsang Souchong.

That sounds interesting GB. Going to try to find that.

GB 09-22-2008 03:29 PM

It really is interesting Elaine. When I bought it the guy behind the counter told me he give credit to anyone who can drink it. it certainly is a strong taste and nothing like tea really (at least very little).

I have seen many chefs use it to smoke foods instead of using wood. I can certainly understand why now. it is almost like drinking pure smoke.

elaine l 09-22-2008 03:32 PM

Did you add anything to it? Sugar or lemon?

GB 09-22-2008 03:34 PM

Nope, I drank it straight. I think sugar in it would be kind of strange. Lemon might be interesting though.

Bilby 09-23-2008 09:00 AM

and whatever you do, don't add milk... absolutely awful then!!!! LOL

It certainly does have a smokey flavour but it is a delicate one, well at least the Twinnings one is! Mind you it was a few years ago that I tried it. Prefer it over the scented ones, like Earl Grey.

GB 09-23-2008 09:05 AM

Oh mine is most certainly not delicate. it is very powerful. Picture sitting around a campfire with the smoke blowing all over your cloths for a whole night. Smell your cloths the next morning. That is what this smells like. It is as strong as can be.

Bilby 09-23-2008 09:07 AM

Don't think I brewed it as long as you GB!! Lapsong was one of the ones my mum used to keep in the cupboard so I remember it, just not as strong as that.

GB 09-23-2008 09:26 AM

Even before it was brewed it was that powerful. When the guy at the store opened the tin the whole store filled with the smoky smell.
This is loose leaf, not teabags so maybe that is why there is such a difference.