Lapsang Souchong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I went to my local tea shop last week and bought a number of different teas I had not tried before. One of them was Lapsang Souchong.

This tea is really interesting. It is like drinking a campfire. This is a smoked tea. If I am correct it is dried over pine wood fires. Every sip I take brings me back to feeling like I am camping. I feel like I am sitting around the fire or crawling out of my tent.

If you like smoky flavors then I highly recommend trying Lapsang Souchong.

I went to my local tea shop last week and bought a number of different teas I had not tried before. One of them was Lapsang Souchong.

This tea is really interesting. It is like drinking a campfire. This is a smoked tea. If I am correct it is dried over pine wood fires. Every sip I take brings me back to feeling like I am camping. I feel like I am sitting around the fire or crawling out of my tent.

If you like smoky flavors then I highly recommend trying Lapsang Souchong.

That sounds interesting GB. Going to try to find that.

It really is interesting Elaine. When I bought it the guy behind the counter told me he give credit to anyone who can drink it. it certainly is a strong taste and nothing like tea really (at least very little).

I have seen many chefs use it to smoke foods instead of using wood. I can certainly understand why now. it is almost like drinking pure smoke.

Nope, I drank it straight. I think sugar in it would be kind of strange. Lemon might be interesting though.

and whatever you do, don't add milk... absolutely awful then!!!! LOL

It certainly does have a smokey flavour but it is a delicate one, well at least the Twinnings one is! Mind you it was a few years ago that I tried it. Prefer it over the scented ones, like Earl Grey.

Oh mine is most certainly not delicate. it is very powerful. Picture sitting around a campfire with the smoke blowing all over your cloths for a whole night. Smell your cloths the next morning. That is what this smells like. It is as strong as can be.

Don't think I brewed it as long as you GB!! Lapsong was one of the ones my mum used to keep in the cupboard so I remember it, just not as strong as that.

Even before it was brewed it was that powerful. When the guy at the store opened the tin the whole store filled with the smoky smell.
This is loose leaf, not teabags so maybe that is why there is such a difference.

Take out the word "bad" and I think that is a pretty accurate description. I can see how people would not like it at all. It is certainly not what I an used to when it comes to tea or any hot liquid for that matter.

It sounds interesting GB - wrap a bit up in some foil (with holes), place in a wok, put a grate above, and smoke what?....maybe some scallops or chicken? I've definitely heard of "tea smoked" foods and you've got some good smoke flavor already in there.

I'm a big fan of lapsang souchong tea. It always reminds me of the smell of hot tar. I add a little sweetener to it and I love it, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

Take out the word "bad" and I think that is a pretty accurate description. I can see how people would not like it at all. It is certainly not what I an used to when it comes to tea or any hot liquid for that matter.

Well, I call it bad since it is smoke from pine instead of hickory.

I used a recipe once with Lapsang Souchong for "Marbled" Eggs. You take hard boiled eggs and gently crack the shells all around without breaking the shells off. Then let the eggs steep in the tea for several hours and let the smoky flavor and color penetrate throught the cracks. Then remove the shells and voila! Sexy marbled eggs. Serve them with soy aioli or make deviled-style by mixing a little soy into the yolks. I'll see if I can track down the official recipe.

Here it is: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/TEA-MARBLED-EGGS-WITH-SOY-BALSAMIC-MAYONNAISE-107961

I bought some when I was trying to learn more about tea and it was very high grade and I made it very carefully and I thought it was one of the most awful things that I tried to drink. I wound up giving it away to someone who could appreciate it far more than I could.

I became a fan of this tea while in the orient and here in Iowa it is almost impossible to find. There is a tea dealer in San Francisco Ca that carries it I order 2-3 times a yr
if any body wants the name just PM me

Back
Top Bottom