Tortilla question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
Hey everyone!! Well I was inspired by Grillingfool's post about flautos! So Im going to try and make some for dinner. After looking through a bunch of recipes, I found that they all say to fry the tortilla first to make it pliable. I have the large flour tortillas used for burritos, which are, in my opinion already pliable. Do you think it will work using these tortillas? Im going to stuff them with hamburger meat mixture. I havent decided if Im going to fry or bake them yet.....my brain is still trying to get the whole plan to come together;)
Any help would be appreciated!

That instruction to fry a tortilla to make it pliable is for corn tortillas. Flour tortillas don't require that step.

Let me first state that I have NOT read the recipe for the flautas, so I don't know how they are handled.

Flour tortillas, yes, are pliable out of the bag, but, are even more pliable if they are toasted/heated in a hot dry skillet for a few seconds before working with it. If the fluatoas need to be rolled or shaped in any way, this will be easier if the tortilla is hot.

Day late and a bazillion dollars short....

I always soften mine in damp paper towels in the microwave, even if I'm frying them.

Back
Top Bottom