Nut Harvests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
This year, the end of September (in my area) marks the end of the hazelnut and the beginning of the chestnut harvest. Hazelnuts are popular in my wife's area of the world and Chestnuts were a staple in my Grandfather's area of Genova. One of the blessings of living in my area is being able to grow both.
I only obtained a digital camera a few weeks ago; so all I can show you is photos of the Chestnuts.

Top of the tree-
img_694114_0_1222691315e4ca0916eb6b90a8ec9e86.jpg

Bottom of tree-
img_694114_1_bddfa8ea478dc21a7e8b2b1b5e0dd3ff.jpg

Drying nuts-
img_694114_2_b2255244066b8478b531cbf7de4f6935.jpg

I had forgotten what chestnuts in the husk looked like.... I haven't seen them since I was a kid. They open up on their own if I remember right. I remember making a small X with a knife in the end and cooking them in butter.

Love the photos! When I was a kid and had to make that terrible two block walk to school we'd pass a chestnut tree. I was always fascinated by the nuts so I'd fill my pockets on my way to school. My Mom was a bit confused when she found a shoebox full under my bed! Ok....later....years later...they are a beautiful nut and I actually tasted my first roasted chestnut last year! Now I wish I'd done more than store them in a shoebox! I still have two of the nuts and every now and then I rub them in my hand to oil the shell so it has that beautiful shine. Simple pleasures,-- "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" or --beauty is it's own excuse for being.

Late August to mid September was our hickory season. Black walnuts started in mid September. The hull of the black walnut has some interesting chemical properties. For example it promises to be a quick way of darkening / blueing / blackening cutlery. This blackening can be helpful in making non-stainless knives more rust resistant.

Back
Top Bottom