Foods your mom made you eat that you won't eat as an adult

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom was pretty good about not making us eat something we really hated, but we had to try new things. I'll never forget the fig episode though. Someone gave us some fresh figs. My sister and I hated them, but we had to eat the whole bowl. I have never tried them since. I do like Fig Newtons though.

:)Barbara

Tuna casserole is another one I won't eat. Anything with egg noodles pretty much. My mother's problem was she wasn't a good cook so she relied on things and cooked them over and over again. That's why, to this day, ham steak just sends shivers down my spine.

I don't remeber being forced to eat anything - my mum did things like kidney that we children do not eat- the other was fish, I never really liked her fish but I am learning to cook it to my taste.

I must admit I was once forced to eat kidney at boarding school - NEVER AGAIN.

there was a second food- macaroni, cheddar cheese, & tomatoes. :ohmy::ermm:just gobs of cheese on plain elbows, with crushed canned tomato. ~shudder~

another was ham, cabbage & potato soup. or, cabbage (& i love cabbage), & cubed taters (&taters), with bacon (& i especially love bacon), with a watery ham-base flavored broth. boiled bacon, YUCK! they shoulda garnished with a mr. yuck sticker!!
i dined on my own food those nites.

i dont eat much canned tuna anymore. Used to in the past but prefer restaurant tuna sandwiches =p

:) Liver and onions although I still like Braunsweiger/Liver wurst. Still hate canned peas, steamed cabbage the smell literally makes me gag. German liver dumplings, blood sausage.

not my mom but my grandmother....brussel sprouts, or peas with pearl onions. I love peas but not with the pearl onions:doh:

Lima beans...yuck....peas....yuck. For some reason the texture just gets to me. Weird thing is that I like mashed potatoes, which is basically the same texture go figure.

I also do not like mushrooms, and do not eat them...

I will eat most any thing on this earth that is wholsome and not like the jerk on TV that eats bugs and other unmentionables, That and Brussel sprouts, I have fixed them six ways from sunday, and I have yet to fix them to my likeing

Why are you bringing up bad memories????? I remember my sisters and I being seated in front of plates with disgusting canned spinach........was my mother a sadist..........I know that it was done to her.........and we 3 looked at each other......none of us had the appetite to even try.......I still feel guilty to this day but when Linda looked away for a sec.....I heaped my disgusting heap on her plate.......dumb blonde

Wrongo, wrongo SK. No YUCCCH with Braunschweiger, only YUMMMMMMMOOOO's!!!!!!!!! Oh, and put it on white bread with mayo and a slice of oinion. To die for!

We ate just about everything put in front of us while growing up. 5 boys would eat just about anything, and we still do today. Now as far as the wifey goes, I will never again eat Hamburger Helper or any of those other cheap meat stretching boxed foods that she bought when we were newley weds. Yuk!
hamburger helper..........yechhhhhhhh......and how about the tuna helper.........I want to throw up thinking about it...............

my mother served liver and lied and told us it was steak.........one bite and she was exposed for the liar that she was.................omg i thought I was going to throw up,,,,,,,,I hate that suff so much...............glad that it's high in cholesterol..............i can take an iron supplement without having to gag

Breakfast cereal and milk. Ironically, I love every form of dairy food known .... but strongly dislike a glass of milk. Always have. I have a sister who is the same way.

Hate lima beans

My mom must have loved lima beans because we ate them often. I hated lima beans and refused to chew them. I swallowed the darn things whole without chewing and thus avoided the awful taste.

Now as an adult I eat just about any foods except LIMA BEANS. :chef:

My mother used to stand over me and insist that I eat my oatmeal...and I would NOT! I so adored my grandpa that I would have eaten anything for him, and when he fixed me up a bowl of oatmeal with butter and brown sugar, I smiled bravely and dug in...only to gag.
Finally, my dad told mom to give it up, saying he didn't blame me, because that stuff tasted like snot.

I do like oatmeal cookies, though.

Back
Top Bottom