French culinary terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lamb&Guinness

Assistant Cook
Ive been learning lots lately from a chef's textbook I recently got
called "On Cooking". Im fascinated by the official terms. If anyone
knows, Im curious:

How do you use the term "Mise en place" correctly?

Would you say "I did the mise en place already" ?
Is the pronunciation like: Meez en plass, or more like pla-SAY?

If you're curious, "mise en place" means prep-work

thanks!

Ive had a few chefs say its more like everything in its place. becuase its not just the actual prep but the set up of the station and all that.

thats a good book. alot of good info.

It is everything in its place, and a way of having everything you need to accomplish the task/job from a-z. Basically, working efficiently.

We say, our mise en place is together...or mise en place is done...

I've always heard it pronounced as "meez on plahse". In the kitchen I'm currently working in, the chef just shortens it to "meez".

Mise on place means a couple different things to me.

#1 Have all food items prepped and readily accessible.
#2 ALL items in the kitchen, from plates, utensils, pans, food, etc., are properly stored where everyone known where they are and are readily accessible.

We actually have signs posted in the dry-supply storage, and possibly the meat box, about "Mise en place Everything in it's place".

By the way, your first pronunciation is closer. But yes, I'm terrible about doing it unless I am stir-frying. Then I might find myself with a dozen little bowls of meat, vegs, and seasonings, since once you get started, it moves fast. Otherwise I get lazy, grab what I need, when I need it. I will say, though, that I plan my kitchen (you must understand that I've cooked in dozens, maybe even a hundred, different kitchens in my life) in such a way that it is almost mise en place as it is. I'll never forget when a friend came to visit and was cooking for us, and she immediately knew where everything was in the kitchen. She did this at two different homes. "but of course, that is where the seasonings would be!" (fill in the blank, oils, vinegars, flours etc).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom