Do you refrigerate any of your alcohol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what you meant by the comment I highlighted...

No wine, other than sparkling, really shows well at 45 degrees! (and even that is questionable). Red wine is best served at "room temperature." I used quotes because in US we mostly keep our rooms too warm for optimum wine flavor. White wines also go "dormant" flavorwise when they're too cold. 55 to 60 would be cold enough for them.

You are right. I meant to say stored. I take mine out about an hour before to let them approach room temp. Only some white wines do I like right out of the wine fridge.

Couple of bottles of vodka (grey goose, kirkland, belvidere, absolut pears) in the freezer - two bottles of white wine in fridge, pre-mixed 'ritas in fridge, as well as beer - miller light, chill, amstel light and coronas. Okay, I will fess up, don't yell at me Uncle Bob, a bottle of bourbon in freezer (my special treat).

I have Bailey's and Godiva in the fridge, and will keep open bottles of wine in there, as well. I like blueberri stoli from the freezer, it's slicker that way. The rest, with the exception of the wine that has it's own temperature controlled cooler, stays on the bar.

Well, all this wine stuff is way over my head, LOL. The wife likes her frutesia and Reisling straight outta the fridge, so that is where they are.
But, I have a bottle of Shiraz I use in cooking, that is open. So, should I remove it from the fridge and store it at room temps? And if so, how long will it last with just putting the cork back on it firmly but not all the way back in?

I store my Campari stash in the freezer. Wonderful with a squirt of soda from the syphon. Keep the glasses to serve it in the freezer too.:)

Can you explain this a little further? If the wine is sealed, how would humidity control matter, especially with the synthetic corks and screw caps now?

I don't know the science behind that, and perhaps with screw tops it doesn't matter. However, I know that corks form an imperfect seal, which is a part of why wines age in the bottle, no? -- and that Champagne, particularly, suffers from being stored in a refrigerator for extended periods.

Well, all this wine stuff is way over my head, LOL. The wife likes her frutesia and Reisling straight outta the fridge, so that is where they are.
But, I have a bottle of Shiraz I use in cooking, that is open. So, should I remove it from the fridge and store it at room temps? And if so, how long will it last with just putting the cork back on it firmly but not all the way back in?

If you want your Shiraz to last for a bit, it needs to be refrigerated after opening, and recorked with a vinotemp stopper. The Vinotemp is quite inexpensive, and comes with two corks. Your original cork, even if put all the way back in, will not keep the wine for long.

If you want red wine for cooking that will "last," buy a box. Bandit makes some very decent Merlot for about $8 a liter.

I don't know the science behind that, and perhaps with screw tops it doesn't matter. However, I know that corks form an imperfect seal, which is a part of why wines age in the bottle, no? -- and that Champagne, particularly, suffers from being stored in a refrigerator for extended periods.
I think you are right, the humidity requirement has more to do with the cork than the wine. Corks are a wood product, and shrink and swell with humidity. If they dry out, they crumble and let in air. I tried keeping a bottle of mixed martinis in the freezer, they just did not taste the same. Open bottles or wine are stored either in the fridge (white), or in the wine cellar (red) at 55 degrees. Whites and beer are stored in the garage fridge at around 40 degrees. Around my house, wine is never around long enough for storage to be an issue.

If you want your Shiraz to last for a bit, it needs to be refrigerated after opening, and recorked with a vinotemp stopper. The Vinotemp is quite inexpensive, and comes with two corks. Your original cork, even if put all the way back in, will not keep the wine for long.

If you want red wine for cooking that will "last," buy a box. Bandit makes some very decent Merlot for about $8 a liter.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom