Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Naan Help please (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/naan-help-please-50851.html)

kadesma 10-06-2008 05:10 PM

Naan Help please

I have the dough ready to make some Naan..My first try at this..I was told to cook it on a bbq grill..Yikes...can it be done on an electric griddle in the house? Help please Ill try your suggestions gladly ..We love home made breads and bisquits and the kids have discovered Naan and adore it..
kadesma

Yakuta 10-06-2008 05:21 PM

Hi Kadesma, yes you can do it on a griddle just ensure you crank it up very high. Also ensure you roll the naan in an elongated shape and make it like a thin crust pizza crust. Once you put it on the griddle it should puff up and then you can flip and cook it on the other side. It is done when you have a few brown spots on each side.

Another good way to make naan is to take a baking tray (I like using heavy duty half sheet pans) and flip them around. Put several elongated rolled out naano on the back of the sheet pan and in it goes into a preheated oven to cook on high (450 F) for 10 minutes or so.

BreezyCooking 10-06-2008 05:25 PM

Heck, I make Naan on baking sheets all the time just like Yakuta. No problemo & no need to heat up the grill. They come out great.

Toots 10-06-2008 05:31 PM

I've never tried making naan from scratch. I "cheat" and buy the frozen naan at Trader Joes.

jpmcgrew 10-06-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakuta (Post 699043)
Hi Kadesma, yes you can do it on a griddle just ensure you crank it up very high. Also ensure you roll the naan in an elongated shape and make it like a thin crust pizza crust. Once you put it on the griddle it should puff up and then you can flip and cook it on the other side. It is done when you have a few brown spots on each side.

Another good way to make naan is to take a baking tray (I like using heavy duty half sheet pans) and flip them around. Put several elongated rolled out naano on the back of the sheet pan and in it goes into a preheated oven to cook on high (450 F) for 10 minutes or so.

:smile: Thats how I make it in the oven and it comes out fine. No fuss no muss.

Yakuta 10-06-2008 06:19 PM

BTW for anyone who does not want to do the hard work and yes I do this as well at times.

Order carry out naan from your favorite Indian restaurants. Sorry but the taste of freshly made naan from a tandoor cannot be duplicated at home.

Also look to buy frozen naans, the best brands are Deep and Swad. They sell three types of naans, chili naan (has red chili flakes for those who like their food super spicy), garlic naan and regular naan.

The naans are tiny but very authentic. I normally put them in a skillet and cook them by flipping them a few times until they are nicely heated.

It's a great thing to keep in your freezer to satisfy a curry craving in case you have them :smile:

kadesma 10-06-2008 06:39 PM

Thank you evryone..My kids love the garlic ones and I want to surprise them..Now to get started..Thanks again you're the best.
kades

BreezyCooking 10-07-2008 01:42 PM

Oh - & speaking of buying Naan, our local "Giant" supermarket has started carrying bags of Naan in their artisinal bread department & it's not half bad. Heats up just lovely & is very tasty. Terrific when I'm in the mood to make an Indian meal but don't want to make the bread from scratch.

kadesma 10-07-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreezyCooking (Post 699510)
Oh - & speaking of buying Naan, our local "Giant" supermarket has started carrying bags of Naan in their artisinal bread department & it's not half bad. Heats up just lovely & is very tasty. Terrific when I'm in the mood to make an Indian meal but don't want to make the bread from scratch.

I found some at Trader Joe's and to me they are okay..But I have nothing to base this on except my taste..I now think home made better. Thanks for the help
kadesma

miniman 10-07-2008 05:33 PM

I did them under the grill (broiler) and they came out fine.