Love and Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Did food have any place in your decision to marry? It did for me, and I'll follow up with stories, but tell me yours!

One of the things we loved about each other when we were dating was how much fun we had eating and enjoying food together so yes I would say yes food did have a place in our decision to marry.

As early as the 7th and 8th grade she made the best old fashion hamburges, and the best chocolate cake (from scratch) that I had ever tasted...Still does!!!!

When I met my hubby, we were both skinny divorced people. I loved to cook, but I didnt cook much since it was just me. When DH came on the scene, he was eating alot of microwaved hotdogs and frozen dinners (bleck!). So I'd invite him over and make wonderful meals. It felt like I came alive again during that period. And three years and many pounds later, we married. Our 4 year wedding anniversay is next week.

I think most of us here love to cook for our loved ones, its another way to show we care.

After one meal at DH'S house, I knew I better get my nose in a book and learn more, plus, I needed to get his mom to show me how to make the "boy's" favorite things.I did and the first meal we had mommy over for, was a hit with dh..After mom left, he said that he thought I was the better cook, that she was good at the Italian things, but I new more things to make..We'd had scalloped potatoes,a ham with brown sugar rum glaze, green salad, biscuits and jam and peas and mushrooms...Dessert was cream puffs. I did it I did it:LOL:

kadesma

Well, she didn't cook at the time. And apparently, after asking her, she says it didn't play a role for her either. Except when I made something special like the time I made lobster and shrimp for her.
And here I thought I had been impressing her with my cooking skills.....

Paul's Greek... I love Greek food.
uh, can I come over?:blink:please:flowers:

I love to eat and he loves to watch me eat, so possibly so.
He's always marveled at how much it pleases me.
Like on our road trips which are often, he'll say, "Honey look, there's a Cracker Barrel.":doh::idea:

My dolls' mom is [or was] a wonderful cook and an incredible baker. We always said that she should have opened a bakery, as she had pride in baking perfectly. It was sort of tug of war for me though as I thought of myself as a good cook too. Maybe a competition thing of sorts. They say you marry your parent. She's lovely, loves to cook and he felt she was a good mother. He thought pretty much same of me and hoped some day we'd have children so I'd again follow her lead.

He watches me [and laughs often] watching me take a bite of whatever. Honestly, I think it's a relaxation thing and pleasures him somehow. He says he's the happiest stomach in the world.
He is first on my list of who I want to please most in the kitchen. And he's been in my kitchen since the 9th grade:wub::in_love::blush: so there's somethin there...................;)

My husband claims that he fell in love with me when he saw me peel a potato. You have to understand that in my family potatoes were pretty much an every day thing, I'm the eldest of four and believe me, I can peel one mean potato, fast. Then he talks about the purple duck incident. My oh my.

He definitely won me over when he made me beef stroganof. Not that it was that great (he prefers my recipe), but that he set a beautiful table with crystal, china, and silver. As a bachelor! I thought (and know, now, after 25+ years) that it meant a lot of things about him. I now have owned that crystal, china, and silver for , well, those 25+ years, and my husband still sets the table for our major meals and celebrations.

Before I met DW, I was an OK cook. Since getting togetherr, I have focused on it and found it it be MY outlet.

I don't think it was a factor. Several of our friends have said they would gladly have me if I would cook. That makes me feel good.

Nah the chic and I really didnt have or have that bond.

It was actually becuase of her i discovered a talent. I cooked but not that good at least I thought i didnt.

It all started when one day she wanted me to make the garlic mashed poatoes from this place called ZORNS out here on LI. Well I made it spot on and actually perfectly.

Yeah after that I tried a few other resturant dishes and I can remake them better then the actual real thing.

after that and hanging out with my neighbor who loves to cook and bake it realyl got me trying new stuff etc..... I deceied I needed a back up career and was going to go to a local community college out in pa but ran into some issues. long story short.

1 year in culinary school. I cook her what ever she wants and make it better then a resturant.

The only down side is that she like the "safe" stuff. no real way to discribe it. its basiclly penne ala vodka, chicken fingers, etc.... like the common stuff on every menu.

I have been able to get her to try and like different things.

She will sometimes go someplace way out of her confort zone for me. I feel bad becuase she doesnt like it or find anything on the menu she might like. but thats how i feel when I go to the places she likes.

I love to cook, he loves to eat. ;)
I don't think this is a why, but it doesn't hurt!

Funny side note..... one of the guys that stores cars in our pole barn was up a few weeks ago, I just got home from work and had some bagels with me (imagine that) so I gave them to him.
He said, " I hear you are a great cook!"
Now, rumor has it that this guy is an EXTREMELY picky eater... so I say, "probably not that good...."
and he says, pointing at my large bellied DH....
"well ya must be, look at this guy!"
it made me giggle, not DH so much....
:)

When I met my husband I was dating a couple of men for whom a fancy dinner meant steak and baked potato. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but all the time? Other meals were hamburgers, and ethnic meant chili. When he took me for my first Korean dinner (bulgogi, chop chae, yaki mandoo, kal bi, and many kim chees), I knew it was love. Many Vietnamese, Thai, all sorts of Chinese, Japanese, Hungarian, French, Slav, etc dinners later, it is still LOVE.

I always tell people I married my husband because I knew I'd never have to cook or eat seafood. We both don't like it, which is fine because years later during allergy test I found I was allergic anyway. But I'm also allergic to the 2 dogs, 6 cats and 3 horses living here too, but I manage.

My sweet husband loves home baked cookies. While we were dating, I enjoyed baking cookies for him. On Christmas, after we had been dating about six months, I handed him a platter of cookies and said, "Cookies are love, you know." He replied "I love you, too." That was our first "I love you." I'll never forget it, and I'm still baking cookies for that dear man.

At some point during our first week of knowing each other I made a leg of lamb with a rosemary/dijon/pesto coating - - - 10 weeks later we got married - - - he said that was the sealed the deal! :LOL:

The very first Christmas when we were first dating, I managed to ditch my room mate and blew the big bucks to feed him well. I made a shrimp salad which I served in avocodo (at the time ridiculously expensive) halves. I marinaded a duck in a red wine/garlic marinade. You have to understand that at the time I'd never cooked a duck, and had next to no experience with red wine. When I pulled the duck out of the marinade, it was a virulent color of purple. So, here it is, my future husband and a purple duck. After spending what was a huge amount of money, here I was with a purple duck. I burst into tears. My now-husband comforted me and told me that when it was through roasting it would no longer be purple. It was a delicious meal, well worth every penny.

First time I laid eyes on DH he was making pizza from scratch - that impressed me! I couldn't really cook at that stage but started to to impress him as he loved cooking so much and that's when I started to love it! We both love the way that the other one enjoys food and agree that we're so glad not to have unadventurous eaters as partners!

Back
Top Bottom