Chicken oven dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
Hello everyone, I need some ideas for a chicken dish that can fit on two plates and can feed a group of people.

Thanks!

Hi, masteraznchefjr, and welcome to DC :)

It might be easier for us if you describe the amount of chicken you want in number of pieces or pounds of chicken. My plates might not be the same size as yours :) And how many people are in the group?

One whole chicken is usually cut into two each of legs, thighs, and wings and two breast halves cut in half to yield four breast pieces. That's 10 pieces total, or about 3.5 lbs. of chicken. Do you want one or two of those?

The easiest thing to do is to brush the pieces with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any herbs you like. These can be fresh or dried; if dried, use 1/3 as much as you would fresh. I have a large rosemary shrub in my herb garden, and I have cut branches of it to make a bed for chicken to sit on as it bakes, so if you have access to that much rosemary, that's a possibility. Thyme would be good for that, too.

Hope that helps.

I think its easier to get chicken breasts for serving purposes. The plates are like maybe 1 ft in diameter or 1.5 feet. Its like for a potluck and look good too (garnished well).

My favorite ridiculously easy baked chicken is honey mustard.
For 4 boneless skinless breasts I mix 1/2 cup each of honey and dijon mustard... 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp basil.
Cover, bake 1/2 an hour at 350, turn, bake another 15 uncovered.... I think.... I dont set the timer.....
I serve over rice.
YOu could fill the plates w/ rice then put the breasts on and pour the juices over.
Easy to multply the recipe.

Do you want finger food, or knife & fork food?

I suggest you do one plate of breasts and one plate of thighs, since some people prefer dark meat. It might also be a good idea to cut the breasts in 2 or 3 pieces.

Fried or oven fried would be awfully good!

I had this at a large party one time - it was very good - served with a rice dish as the side --- you can easily double it

Alpine Chicken
6-8 boneless skinless breasts
6 oz. swiss cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ soup can of sherry
8 oz package of herb stuffing
¾ c butter

Preheat oven to 350.
Arrange chicken in greased shallow dish.
Layer cheese on top. Combine soup and sherry and pour over top.
Toss stuffing with melted butter and spoon on top.
Cook covered for 45 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes.

Take a look at my Greek chicken post on page 3 and see if that's something you might like to try. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Easy for a pot-luck. Sweet & Sour Chicken. Bring to a boil boil 2 cups rice in 4 cups of water plus 1 tsp salt for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

While the rice is cooking, bone and skin 4 large chicken breasts. Throw the bones and skins into a pot with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn down to simmer. Cook until the rice is done.

While the rice is cooking, dice the chicken meat into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat a large, heavy frying pan over high heat. Add 2 tbs. cooking oil and swirl to cover the pan bottom. Add the chicken cubes and stir-fry until lightly browned on all sides. Remove the chicken from the heat.

Strain the chicken broth through a fine wire mesh sieve and discard the skins and bones. Add salt to taste. Add 3 tbs. dark-brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp. ground ginger. Stir in and let cook for 5 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning to your liking. Add 3 tbs. vinegar, stir and taste. Add more vinegar or brown sugar to get the sweet/sour ballance you want. Thicken with a corn starch slurry.

Let the sauce cool and add the cooked chicken. Take the rice and chicken sauce to the pot luck, heat in a crock pot (or bring hot), and let everyone tell you what an incredible cook you are.:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom