Help me make lunch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
My aunt is coming up from CHicago to visit on Tuesday.... she is bringing me plants for the garden. We plan to spend the day outdoors mostly. Her husband and my Dad will accompany..... and my kids need to like it.

I work Sun and Mon, not much time to prepare anything, but I said I'd make lunch.... HELP!!! :ohmy:

Not alot of $$ to play with here either...

Got an idea? I do dinner.... lunch is beyond me.

Our lunches are always light. Sandwiches, soups, salads, that is about it. You could get some nice deli meat, deli cheese and one of those loafs of whole grain bread. Top it with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, pickles, whatever they like. Then serve with a nice side soup like split pea or chicken noodle. Those you could do the night before, which I like to do as I always feel they taste better the next day.

i am with maverick .. when we do a lunch its usually
just a deli tray and snowflake rolls ..

took the buns right out of my mouth....... slice up some in season apples and anything else that is in season........some carrot sticks and or cucumber slices would be nice, too---you can jazz those up by placing in a ziploc baggie, sprinkling some apple cider vinegar or any vinegar and a bit of sugar.......reserve some that are not doctored for the kids though mine always liked them that way..........a small container of store-brand lemon or lime sherbert would be a nice way to end it...or the fruit will do just as nicely....have fun!!!:)

I could put sammiches on bagels.... I think I know where to get some....
:)

Or those sandwich pretzels... if they still have them.
Put everything out on a tray and let everyone build their own.

Or make a brunch if you want "hot" food.

Get one of those already roasted chickens, pull off the meat shred and add some mayo salt,pepper, some halved grapes or apples some celery and a touch of mustard add lettuce and maybe 2-3 sliced green onions white and green both and you have a filling sandwich with some veggies and dip iced tea add some chips and your in business..cookies and sherbet or sorbet and lunch is a done deal.
kadesma;)

Thanks everyone... I don't know why I froze up on ideas for that..... I'm used to serving mega-dinners or breakfasts for company.... never really done a lunch before!

I've decided on corn chowder and I'll just get some sliced deli turkey from work..... I'll pick up a nice loaf of bread and set out things for sandwiches.

If I have time (yeah right, see what I do to myself???) I'll make cranberry-orage muffins.

I'm too late to weigh in :( but my favorite soup lately is the easiest I can imagine - tomato-basil bisque.

For four servings, whiz in a blender two cans of diced tomatoes and 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce. Add S&P to taste. Heat in a 3-quart saucepan to a low simmer and simmer 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup julienned basil, simmer another couple of minutes to blend flavors and serve with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan. Multiply as needed for the number of servings you need. HTH.

Actually I made that not too long ago GG!
It was on the short list for lunch.
legogirl and I loved it, everyone else was so-so......
so I'm saving my small bit of basil for more important things (PESTO!) this winter.... since my season is over. :(

Actually I made that not too long ago GG!
It was on the short list for lunch.
legogirl and I loved it, everyone else was so-so......
so I'm saving my small bit of basil for more important things (PESTO!) this winter.... since my season is over. :(

Wish I could send you some :) I had (still have) more than I could use, or give away. But if I plant fewer plants, I don't have enough :wacko:

When I make this soup in the winter, instead of buying fresh basil, I add a tbsp. of pesto from the freezer, which I have quite a lot of right now ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom