Do you eat the meal you cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhettoRacingKid

Sous Chef
Really cant thing of a good title but I was wondering if im alone on this one.

So when I make a meal I tend to pick and try what im making threw out the process. I dont follow any recipes so I kidna have too.

but once the meal is done and ready. Everyone is sitting and eating and there I am with either nothing or just a littel tiny pice of this or that.

It bothers my freinds and the wife.

Jsut wondering if im all alone on this problem (I dont see it as one, give me a chance to do the dishes and think about dessert.)

I eat all the way through the cooking process but unlike you I also eat the finished product too. :( I've got to quit doing one or the other. I'm gaining all the weight I lost back!!!

I don't pick at all, unless it's to taste something like a sauce part way through cooking. Or dipping a finger in a doctored up BBQ sauce before I put it on.

Daily meals, I cook and eat at the table. Anyone's presence is optional.

Weekend / Company meals, I do sample all the way through and am not really hungary when I get to sit down. I do eat some of everything, because, it makes gusts more comfortable.

WIth a new recipe I test taste so much I'm not usually hungry for the meal, but I have a smal portion anyway.

If I've made it before I dont eat beforehand....
(unless its mashed potatoes and gravy...)

There actually is a name for this phenomenon - but I can't remember what it is. It's actually a psychological response that has to do with both smelling the food cooking and the occasional tasting. It fools your body into thinking you've actually eaten - so you're not hungry.

I'm usually not hungry for 3-6 hours after I place Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner on the table. I also experienced this when I was volunteering to help cook at my church for our program to feed the homeless and for Meals-on-Wheels.

Really cant thing of a good title but I was wondering if im alone on this one.

So when I make a meal I tend to pick and try what im making threw out the process. I dont follow any recipes so I kidna have too.

but once the meal is done and ready. Everyone is sitting and eating and there I am with either nothing or just a littel tiny pice of this or that.

It bothers my freinds and the wife.

Jsut wondering if im all alone on this problem (I dont see it as one, give me a chance to do the dishes and think about dessert.)

There has to be a reason you're not eating. Do you know what it is? I'm not sure how much you're eating during the cooking process so I'm assuming you may be full. Is that it?

I eat everything I cook and cook everything I eat.

yes I eat what I cook. (anyone looking at me knows I have a healthy appetite) sure could use a few fewer meals.

Weekend / Company meals, I do sample all the way through and am not really hungary when I get to sit down. I do eat some of everything, because, it makes gusts more comfortable.

I am the same way, but regular meals I don't taste much unless its to adjust the seasoning while cooking.

I am exactly the same. I pick and taste and modify then pick and taste again until im full. then sit there and see how everyone else reacts to my cooking. I can get very insulted if someone doesnt like what i cooked. I put on my happy face, but inside im not so happy.

Michael nailed it. The cooking process with all it's smells amd flavors works to dull your appetite. It happens to me when I doing a 'big meal'. I sit down and have no appetite. I eat regardless.

I will take small taste tests throughout the cooking process, and definitely always eat what I cook. Kinda not the greatest thing as I could stand to loose a few pounds, LOL.

:) Same here I cook, taste a little and then do not care to eat the meal but I throughly enjoy it for lunch the next day. On the other hand I eat with gusto a good meal someone else has made since my senses have not been over whelmed from cooking it. Also you only need a little food for your stomach to determine you are full it takes your stomach about 20 minutes to figure it's full so that little nibbling/tasting and smelling makes you feel full on less food. When I cook because of this sometimes I think the food is not that good but in fact it is very good but I just don't care to have anymore. For me cooking a Holiday Dinner always tastes better the next day.:chef:

i am hardly ever hungry when i make a big meal. i also take a small serving and just sorta push it around.

i know what you mean about thanksgiving and Christmas. i usually don't want it til the next day.:chef:

i can't think of a time that i've cooked and not tasted the food or eaten the finished product.

It depends on whether or not I like what I'm cooking. My kids like lentils, sauerkraut, sausage, and a lot of things I don't care for so on those nights, I eat PB&J.

Hello, absolutely eat what I cook if I am cutting salad, I can't help but pick at the cucumbers , fresh tomatoes, before adding the dressing. I love dipping a spoon into just right tomatoe sauce for spaggetti or ravioli and smearing it onto fresh bread spinkled with bitey parmsean cheese. I tuck into the completed meal afterwards but tend to have a smaller serving, because I'm full. Hubby and teenage son usually go for secounds:)

Sometimes I'll prepare the meal and eat it the next day. I usually cook enough for leftovers for a couple of days, so on preparation day, I eat a sandwich sometimes.

I thought my mom was the only one to do this and that I learned it from her. I am so grateful you started this thread GRK. If I'm cooking for my DD, I generally don't end up eating. If I'm cooking for me it's not generally elaborate so I eat. It's when I go fancy I often disappoint myself by not being hungry at the end of the process. I've learned to cook meals that are just as good the second night as they were the first so I'll eat them then.

The big one is when I make soup or chili. At the end of the day DD wants it but I'm over it. I've tasted it so much I'm just not that into eating it. Good thing my chili keeps for a full year.

Back
Top Bottom