Dog Sweaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I have three small dogs that need sweaters during the cold weather. going to Petsmart which is almost monthly, I saw sweaters there with lowest one costing around $13. Now I don't know where you people go for your pets, but I found Wal Mart to have the most and the cheapest. I was so ecstatic that I bought 2 sweaters for each dog, in case one gets soiled. The sweaters may not be stylish but sure do the job of keeping them warm.

My niece who at the present time has only 14 fosters, advised me to put some kind of shoes on the dogs when it snows. How many of you do this? I just can't believe all the different things Petsmart has for the pets in your life. Of course their sweaters were much cuter than Wal Mart.

If I have to buy my underwear there, who is to say it isn't good enough for my dogs? I know they won't complain.

We have a medium sized dog who would probably be warmer outside in the winter if he wore the coat I bought him but he won't move when it's on (it is big enough, I think he doesn't like the feel of it). I think I found his coat at Foster and Smith (we live near their warehouse and they have an outlet store on site) but have seen the ones at Walmart and else where too. This spring when I was at Target, they had a ton of their winter designs for dogs on huge clearance. Petsmart had the same thing ... something to keep in mind if you need new ones for next winter.

I have seen the booties in several stores but have never tried them. We use pet safe salt on our drive and walk ways and if we go for a walk, I just wipe off his feet with a damp cloth when we get home. Hi pads get really dry and cracked from the snow and cold so we put Eucerin on them once in a while. I use baby socks to cover his paws for a while when I do this. He doesn't like it but I think has learned it's helping so he'll leave them for about 30 minutes.

I agree about Petsmart ... I love wandering around, finding something new that both our dog and cat JUST have to have! I do think they have the best price on treats though. And, they are the only ones I've found that carry the wet food our cat can have.

I've never been a big fan of doggie sweaters or shoes, unless you are going for a fashion statement, which is fine. I know people that do that and their dogs look pretty cool, it's just not for me or my poochies. And of course mushers have generally gone the way of shoes to protect their sled dogs' feet, so that's OK if your dogs are going to be out of snow and sharp ice for hours on end, or walking where people have put down salt or deicer. I suppose if you were going to put your dogs outside for an extended period of time shoes and sweaters might not be such a bad idea. I personally don't want to be bothered dressing up my dogs. Even my Ridgeback, who hates rain and cold. He doesn't seem to notice he's "supposed to be cold" when we are outside playing :LOL: Maybe if I had a Chinese Crested or Mexican Hairless I might consider a sweater, but I would never have a Chinese Crested or Mexican Hairless :rolleyes:
Pet Edge has some pretty nice looking outfits. I like to look at them when I get their catologs. Some of them I swear the outfits take up 1/3 of the pages, so they are indeed popular these days.

JM, I used to use pet safe salt, but have stopped. It pitted my concrete so bad, I figured it couldn't be good for the dog's feet either. Maybe it is safe for pets.... but it sure doesn't like concrete.

I have three small dogs that need sweaters during the cold weather. going to Petsmart which is almost monthly, I saw sweaters there with lowest one costing around $13. Now I don't know where you people go for your pets, but I found Wal Mart to have the most and the cheapest. I was so ecstatic that I bought 2 sweaters for each dog, in case one gets soiled. The sweaters may not be stylish but sure do the job of keeping them warm.

My niece who at the present time has only 14 fosters, advised me to put some kind of shoes on the dogs when it snows. How many of you do this? I just can't believe all the different things Petsmart has for the pets in your life. Of course their sweaters were much cuter than Wal Mart.

If I have to buy my underwear there, who is to say it isn't good enough for my dogs? I know they won't complain.

You buy your unders at Petsmart???? :LOL:

We get a lot of things here. We have been happy with the prices. I have two labs. I have never had an inclination for coats for them. they love outdoors and snow. DW has said she would consider coats only to keep them dry in the rain. Boots are scary, I do not believe they would wear them and I would be concerned that my big chocolate would eat them. Don't ask what he has eaten. In his view theyre are eight, not seven basic food groups. The eighth is everything that does not fit into the first seven. His motto - "If in doubt, eat it!"

We have a medium sized dog who would probably be warmer outside in the winter if he wore the coat I bought him but he won't move when it's on (it is big enough, I think he doesn't like the feel of it). I think I found his coat at Foster and Smith (we live near their warehouse and they have an outlet store on site) but have seen the ones at Walmart and else where too. This spring when I was at Target, they had a ton of their winter designs for dogs on huge clearance. Petsmart had the same thing ... something to keep in mind if you need new ones for next winter.

I have seen the booties in several stores but have never tried them. We use pet safe salt on our drive and walk ways and if we go for a walk, I just wipe off his feet with a damp cloth when we get home. Hi pads get really dry and cracked from the snow and cold so we put Eucerin on them once in a while. I use baby socks to cover his paws for a while when I do this. He doesn't like it but I think has learned it's helping so he'll leave them for about 30 minutes.

I agree about Petsmart ... I love wandering around, finding something new that both our dog and cat JUST have to have! I do think they have the best price on treats though. And, they are the only ones I've found that carry the wet food our cat can have.

I am sure my niece would be happy to hear about the way you take care of your animals. she is the one who thinks I need training not the dogs. She truly loves her animals before anyone. Didn't think I was good enough for her dogs. Isn't that an insult? She will let me take care of her kids but not the dogs.

Thanks JP for sharing all your info with me. And all who comment about the sweaters. My little ones don't even want to go o utside if it is cold.

I've never had a dog that needed a sweater, although they don't want to spend as much time outside on the few days it gets really cold here. (I have to admit though that I've been eyeing little sweaters and Halloween costumes for my puppy Junior. He's the smallest dog I've ever had.)

I've never had a dog that needed a sweater, although they don't want to spend as much time outside on the few days it gets really cold here. (I have to admit though that I've been eyeing little sweaters and Halloween costumes for my puppy Junior. He's the smallest dog I've ever had.)

seems the smaller they are the more susceptible they are to the elements. I just love little dogs and big ones too, but when so tiny they need more attention. Or maybe it is just me that worries too much. so fragile.

seems the smaller they are the more susceptible they are to the elements. I just love little dogs and big ones too, but when so tiny they need more attention. Or maybe it is just me that worries too much. so fragile.
My friends with chihuahuas all put sweaters on them in the cold weather, too, because they get chilled really easily. So think you're right to dress your little ones, ITK.

On the same note, anyone know where i can get a sweater for my chickens, or even a crochet pattern so my wife can make them.

I saw this on the internet, and just wondered why ???:ermm:

Attachments

• 2908040pc.jpg
    2908040pc.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 165
I knew it! That sure made me laugh. Just what I needed! Helps with the kind of day I have. Will check to see if I can find patterns for you. But will your wife want to crochet for the birds? Sounds wild but picture proves someone thought of it.

Ya gotta spoil em' This was my Great Dane, Master Teke's Lady Heather and feline friend back in 1987.

img_702528_0_f8e04aa2396f73d5e96f5c2e9b771572.jpg

Do you knit or crochet?
There's lots of free doggie sweater patterns online and if you just get the cheap Red Heart super saver yarn you could probably make one for about $4.
Chicken patterns however....... you never know... there's something out there for everyone I guess! :)

My wife crochets a lot, and has actually won a few blue ribbons at the county fair. She probably would make something for the chickens and possibly the dog too ( when she's not bogged down making baby blankets and sweaters....).

JM, I used to use pet safe salt, but have stopped. It pitted my concrete so bad, I figured it couldn't be good for the dog's feet either. Maybe it is safe for pets.... but it sure doesn't like concrete.

Ahh ... that is good to know. We have a black top drive so I haven't noticed anything but it good to know for our sidwalk. I'll have to watch for problems this winter.

:) I just had a thought. Why not look for sweaters in the baby and kids department at Walmart etc?

That's a great idea! I wonder, though, if the arm holes would be in the right position. The sleeves on Halloween T-shirt (a dog specific shirt) I just bought seem to be forward more. Hmmm ...

...Isn't that an insult? She will let me take care of her kids but not the dogs...

Yes, I think that is very hurtful!

this may sound a little crazy but I'm ordering my dog a $39 cashmere sweater from
Designer dog clothes, designer dog collars, designer dog beds, designer dog carriers | Trixie + Peanut. He is a little dauschund mix, and his fur is very short. He also wears a Fido Fleece in the winter (I think they are around $25). My basset hound also has a Fido Fleece - but she has meat on her bones, so I don't get her big sweaters.

we all do things for our pets that we consider too much for our family. I got another puppy which I hadn't planned on because the one I got was so lonely. Now I have two pups and one old dog. I just could not bear to have him cry continually when I was gone. So if spending extra on your pets is worth it. I just recently saw Oprah show with dogs. If that wouldn't break your heart I don't know what will. One dog with only two right legs, other ones had to be amputated. Greyhound on top of it, big dog. Another dog Jack Russell could actually count and add, subtract, and divide. Hope some of you got to see it. I was glad it was taped. Each dog was better than the last. I would take them all home if I could.

Like I always say, dogs treat me better than most of the people I know. Of course, I am doubtful about rottweilers and doberman. Neighbor has two of each and now got some kind of big dog that when it barks sounds like a foghorn. One thing, that one gets attention. Wonder what kind of dog it is? I dare not ask as they know I am fearful of the other dogs especially when they get in my yard. I wouldn't want them to tare my pups in pieces. the old dog can't even see or hear so he would be goner.

Sorry, when I get started talking about dogs my mind seems to 'drift'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom