The Mad NYT Scientist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
Yup, I'm trying something that I've not seen anywhere...yet! NYT Pumpernickle. If it turns out to be edible, I'll let you know what the recipe is that I concocted this with. Here's the shaggy dough that's in a plastic bag until tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it this time.:LOL:

img_705491_0_e7fce3d49ddf7dd80134f8ef3c12e93b.jpg

Sorry, but I've had my first failure with stretching NYT to its limits. I baked it for the same amount of time and at the same temperature as other NYT recipes, and the bottom burned, as well as part of the top. My guess is that the molasses was a little much at theses high temperatures.

img_705794_0_2655a6a4953b541e9524a4e15204e0ad.jpg

img_705794_1_f7bdceaf080a1ce04e6dcabda6a74ce5.jpg

As you can see, the other loaves cooked at the same time came out just fine, so unless someone comes up with a fix for this recipe, I'll keep making the pumpernickel in the traditional way. I did make a traditional pumpernickel which will be served tonight with spinach dip at a fundraiser.

img_705794_2_5df5ecf66322bf903e9a4c23ee65a090.jpg

All was not lost. I cut off the burned crust and cut up the rest of the bread into cubes for dipping in the spinach dip. You can see them in the bag.

Off to the clam bake...

Joe

Looks beautious to me. So do all the others. I'm jealous, JoeV.
Keep it up and keep sharing with us. Thanks for the pics!

Don't be jealous, just start baking and you can turn out delicious bread. This is something that is within reach of anyone willing to put a little effort into it, and we're here to help you every step along the way. Keep in mind that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Make that first step.

JoeV

Thanks, LC61. The recipe is very close to what I used, but the hydration is much higher, which most likely was my problem. I noticed the when I turned the dough out after 12 hours that it was very stiff, unlike the other NYT doughs which are soft and stringy. I only used 13 oz of liquid, and that included 1/3 C of molasses as part of the hydration.

Back to the drawing board...

JoeV

Back
Top Bottom