What do you "notice" about TV chefs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I take in a lot when watching all of them.
Love their shows, most of the time, and each one of them is different.

So, watching Anne Burrell right now. Like her show, didn't like her version of Bolognese sauce but Tivo her show so I can view later if missed.

So here's what I notice about Anne Burrell. She's funny, has a different style of the way she dresses, I won't remember anything about her TV kitchen ever, and she growls. When she talks, she growls a lot to emphasize.

Sara Moulton uses a phrase, "any rate".

Emeril seems less easy when he's on camera.

Mario is at ease in front of the camera.

Rachel seems to be very comfortable in front of the camera.

Do you notice things about your viewing of TV chefs?

I just watched Anne Burrell as well. She has some style and personality. I noticed she is almost constantly talking. I agree she seems to have some fun with her cooking.

I love watching Giadia. As petite and lovely as she is, her hands are more peasant-like and strong. I'm a hand watcher from way back. From orchestra conductors, to musicians, to speakers, knitters/crocheters to chefs/cooks.
And I like to watch ...shoot, his name just escaped me...(Rick Bayless) the guy that adores mexican food. I really enjoy watching him. He does everything with such ease, and really knows how to bring out the best in the foods he works with and the story behind all those foods, and makes the listener/viewer enjoy it too.
I just wish he was working with a different type of cuisine, as I'm not that fond of mexican food. (too spice for my gut. and the old dislike of beans thing)
And of course, Bastianich. "Let me taste this for you."
LOL!

TV cooking shows

Tyler Florence (on Tyler's Ultimate) talks too fast and needs to slow down and relax more.

I really enjoy watching Guy Fieri on Guy's Big Bite. I prefer his shows when he is alone. Sometimes his buddies distract from the focus on cooking.

Paula Deen is a kick to watch on her Paula's Home Cooking show.

I enjoy the fun that Rachel Ray seems to have cooking on her 30 Minute Meals show.

My very favorite TV cook is Giada DeLaurentiis on Everyday Italian. She explains and shows everything as she cooks. :chef:

I notice when a chef has a true passion for their ingredients/dishes like Jamie Oliver, its like they wish they can just grab you through the TV so you can smell this also, or taste that...makes you KNOW why they are in the industry!

I love watching Giadia. As petite and lovely as she is, her hands are more peasant-like and strong. I'm a hand watcher from way back. From orchestra conductors, to musicians, to speakers, knitters/crocheters to chefs/cooks.
And I like to watch ...shoot, his name just escaped me...the guy that adores mexican food. I really enjoy watching him. He does everything with such ease, and really knows how to bring out the best in the foods he works with and the story behind all those foods, and makes the listener/viewer enjoy it too.
I just wish he was working with a different type of cuisine, as I'm not that fond of mexican food. (too spice for my gut. and the old dislike of beans thing)
And of course, Bastianich. "Let me taste this for you."
LOL!
I love to watch Lidia too, she is such a wonderful authenic cook in making everything. I adore her restaurant too.
I think Rick Bayless is who loves and does Mexican food. I like him too and tape him also

giada grins too hugely!!!
i met rick bayless. he seemed stressed & distracted.
kat cora seems strong & confident.
&i love sara moulton. she squints often, maybe reading her prompts.

& dear Julia Child smoothed over so well. loved her!!!

speaking of Giada, I did not know she gave birth. was watching her today and noticed that she was wearing a not typical shirt. not Giada style at all, usually they're very clea^age-y and um, well you know. this one was sort of empire loosey goosey, I love her smile but my husband thinks otherwise too.

about Rick Bayless, not surprised as he comes across as mild mannered on television to me anyway, so maybe he's not in real life.

I notice that Kat Cora is least selected among the Iron Chefs. She must be tough to beat or the guys are just afraid of losing to her.:LOL: I like most of the TV chefs, and won't expound on the ones I don't care for (I live in a glass house so I won't throw stones:ermm:).

JoeV

Each one of them has something to share with us..We might not like how they look or talk, but watch how they do things and we come out ahead and it's free!!!e I love watching Bobby Flay and his throwdowns..He remnds me of my dad and uncle, cocky Irish boys but oh so smart.
kadesma

I've learned so much and been inspired by so many tv chefs.......my fav of course is Julia Child.......when she talked it was as if butter was coming out of her mouth.......and there were times that there were mistakes and her attitude "was, oh, well.......these things happen......we've all had disasters or setbacks in the kitchen........." my favorite show was her showing how to cook a live lobster.......now my hubby and I couldn't afford those when I watched it but I never forgot.......and one Valentine's day I made it.........sorry Larry but you're going in headfirst.....you can blame Julia Child...........

I watch most of the tv chefs and have no one particular fav. but what I do notice and can not figure out why it is done. All most every cooking show has some thing made in a bowl or a large pan. My question why do not they ever scrape out all of the product from thier bowls/pans, or when the dice a veggie the all ways waste the tops of tomatoes or other product??

all good chefs (no, I'm not claiming to be one......I'm the cook who cleans up) make more than they need.......they don't cook by recipes as they don't have to........and they don't have to clean up...........

I watch most of the tv chefs and have no one particular fav. but what I do notice and can not figure out why it is done. All most every cooking show has some thing made in a bowl or a large pan. My question why do not they ever scrape out all of the product from thier bowls/pans, or when the dice a veggie the all ways waste the tops of tomatoes or other product??

Ha, ha. I thought I was the only one to feel or notice this. I agree! Another person or two could eat what I see some not use.

On the positive side, I notice when show hosts obviously have a lot of knowledge to impart, and are enthusiastic about it, without going overboard. I have learned a lot about the uses of cooking tools, knife technique, and other sundry things about kitchen equipment by watching cooking shows. I have also learned a lot of generalities about cooking, though I don't think I have ever set out to duplicate a recipe exactly as a show host has demonstrated. It's more like they give me a starting point for my own endeavors: "Oh, I never thought of doing that with that!"

On the negative side, it is much like when I'm reading a book, and I come to something that "kicks me out" of a story, like when an author proves he knows nothing about cars, but writes about them anyway, and is too lazy to do the research, in one or two sentences: "Bill shifted the engine into low..."

What can "kick me out" of a cooking show? I won't mention any names here, but I'm betting many of you will know who I am talking about.

I can't stand show hosts who are too chirpy. I don't like it when show hosts overplay the "down-home cornpone" stuff, like saying y'all two or three times in one sentence. And it really bugs me when show hosts mispronounce cooking terms or food names. Especially when they are someone whom I otherwise respect. There's one guy who can't seem to get more than two or three sentences out without mispronouncing something. This doesn't bother me much; I've come to expect it, and I rarely watch him anymore. And, please, don't misunderstand me, I am not referring to show hosts who speak English as a second language. I'm talking about native English speakers. And yes, a lot of the terms they mispronounce are from other languages, originally. This, to me, is no excuse. Most English words come from other languages.

One of my favorite show hosts regularly mispronounces "gyro" when referring to the sandwich. I can sort of excuse this, because it seems to be him and about eight million other people in NYC, but I learned this one when I was very young, and said it the wrong way to a very fierce-looking gyro vendor out here. I was about 18 at the time, as I recall, and he corrected me in such a fashion that guaranteed I would never forget. :) And yes, I know, "gyro" originally referred to the cooking device, not the sandwich.

I always wince when I see another guy whom I otherwise respect get near a bivalve mollusk, because he invariably starts talking about the "abductor muscle." It's like he's watched too many shows by that other guy I mentioned earlier. That guy says the same thing.

Some people will no doubt take me to task for being overly-picky, but, at least the way I see it, these people put themselves out there to educate, at least as much as they put themselves out there to entertain. When you say "Look, here's how you do this," you put yourself in the role of educator. About certain things in cooking, there are valid differences of opinion. However, the pronunciation of terms is not one of them. Well, okay, there are exceptions, with things like cumin, which has at least three accepted pronunciations, and those all came into acceptance because of common usage.

But what, for instance, would you think if someone came up to you with a tray at a formal function, and offered you a "hores-doover," or a "can-o'pee"?

Yes, the English language is a melting-pot of words from other languages, and ever-changing. However, I'd like to think that at least occasionally, it might change to the correct pronunciation of a food term, and thereby change for the better.

And sometimes it does. Many Americans, and even many show hosts, now know how to properly pronounce "jalapeño," for instance. Although, recently I was in the supermarket, and there was a little demo table where a gal was giving out samples of jalapeño jelly. I told her I had never seen jalapeño jelly before, and she came back with "Oh, we've been making "hal-a PEEN-oh" jelly for several years now." It became almost like a game; I'd say jalapeño, and she would immediately come back with "hal-a PEEN-oh" to correct me. And she probably learned that pronunciation from watching cooking shows.

I think people who put themselves forth as as educators have a responsibility to make sure the information they are providing is correct, and this includes the pronunciation of words.

Years ago, I got a note from my daughter's English teacher. It contained misspellings and poor grammar. I corrected, graded it, and sent it back. If you are going to teach a subject, in my opinion, you'd better know that subject. By the way, I never heard another peep from that teacher.

Okay, sorry. Rant over. However, you asked. :) I'm fully expecting some to take exception to this. Please feel free to disagree with me; this was not posted with any malice in mind, and I'm a big boy; I can take criticism. However, please read for content, and don't take little things out of context.

I like to watch Ina, she really enjoys cooking. I love Anne Burrell but wish she wouldn't have her arms flailing around as much as in the first series.....she could knock herself out without trying! :LOL:

im surprised this thread has remained civil so far.

So I havent watched the shows lately becuase Ive been too preoccupied with Call of Duty 4.

I usually pick up a few things here and there but Im a big fan of good eats becuase I enjoy the science of things.

Back
Top Bottom