Room for a n00b?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Brik

Assistant Cook
Hey there !

I'm excited to be a part of this forum; hopefully I'll learn lots of cool stuff.

My parents hated to cook, so I grew up on easy meals and take out. I then moved away to college where I relied predominately on cafeteria food. Now that I'm out on my own and living with my wonderful boyfriend, I want to be able to cook for the two of us. I know I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I'm a fast learner and am looking forward to finding some fun and exciting recipes and cooking tips.

Should I disclose now that I dislike seafood, or should I wait until you know me better?!

:lucky:

There's nothing wrong with disliking seafood, but give some of us time - we may be able to slowly, step by step, bring you over to the dark side - lol!!!

There's nothing wrong with disliking seafood, but give some of us time - we may be able to slowly, step by step, bring you over to the dark side - lol!!!

I really hope you can! It looks and smells delicious, but I just haven't acquired the taste for it yet.

:) Welcome Lady Brik, To start it would be good to know what you can make or have attempted to make. Can you cook eggs/ breakfast etc?

:) Welcome Lady Brik, To start it would be good to know what you can make or have attempted to make. Can you cook eggs/ breakfast etc?

Yes! Here's the very basic (and embarrassing) list of the culinary skillz I possess:

1. I can make breakfast food, i.e. eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, toast (!)
2. Grilled cheese
3. Macaroni & cheese
4. Spaghetti
5. Tacos

And pretty much anything from a box with cooking instructions on them (Hamburger Helper, etc.).

I'm looking to expand my knowledge when it comes to meals that aren't necessarily from a box. I've learned how to create meals from using a crockpot (roast, beef stew, chili) but that's sort of the extent of it.

So yeah. I'm very basic. I want to learn more, but both myself and my boyfriend are very picky (in very opposite ways; I'm picky when it comes to seafood and some types of meat, whereas he's very finnicky about vegetables) so that limits a lot of things as well.

Hope that gives you a little idea!

Umm lets see, hold on for a minute. Let me move these chairs, and put all these empty pots and pans over here in the sink.....yup! Found room for one more!!

Welcome to DC Lady BriK-glas you could join us!!!

Hello and welcome to DC. I am a retired chef feel free to pick my brains for what ever I will be glad to stear you in the right direction. Next go out and buy the New Joy Of Cooking it is probably the best real cook book on the mkt. My copy is 40 yrs old and I still rfefer to it.

Back
Top Bottom