Steak on the grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I bought a loin today and had it cut.
I seasoned one of the steaks with salt and pepper and let it sit.
I put it on the grill (indirect) for a while. Then let the flames lick it while searing it. Reverse sear? You tell me. It was started slow then finished fast.
By the time the other stuff was done, I never did get around to "resting" it, but I never thought that mattered much anyway.
Oops, don't forget the sauce, a roux turned into a white sauce with a little asparagus added and a lot of gorganzola! ;)

Attachments

• steaks1.jpg
    steaks1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 246
  • steaks2.jpg
    steaks2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 258
  • steaks3.jpg
    steaks3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 254
  • steaks4.jpg
    steaks4.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 284
  • steaks5.jpg
    steaks5.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 263
Oh my!!! I shouldn't have looked at this at 6:30 am. I want to go fire up the grill now.. Looks great.

Barb

Thanks. :)
I was pretty happy with it. It was the best tasting meat I ever got from that store. Very tender.

Thank you.
The other eight are wrapped, Food Saver'ed ;), frozen, and ready for next time I want to cook a roast and call it a steak :LOL:

:) That is my favorite cut of steak I believe it's also called a NY Strip.

Really? I always thought the NY strip came from the rear of the steer/cow, where the porterhouse and T-bone reside, whereas the ribeye or delmonico comes from the front section, along with filet mignon, and is basically a prime rib.....
I've never hear of a ribeye being called a strip, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. :neutral: We need that cow diagram again ;)

Depending on what area you are in...A "Delmonico" Steak (not a cut of beef) can be a Boneless Top Sirloin..Bone-In Top Sirloin,(cut from the short loin) or a Rib-Eye cut from the rib. The package label says Beef Rib Delmonico Steak...This says to me the steak is a Rib-eye...One cut from the large end of the rib-eye.

Tenderloins on vertebrate mammals are located inside the rib cage. If I remember right, the large end (often called the "butt end") of the tenderloin is snug up against the pelvis. Nobody really knows what the tenderloin is for. Some say it's used for posture. All anybody really knows is that the tenderloin isn't used for much of anything, which is why it's so tender.

The prime rib clod comes from the middle section of the cow. Ribeyes are cut from the prime rib.

Porterhouse loins start just in front of the pelvis. They are actually comprised of two "loins" with the chine bone included. One one side is the NY Strip, and the other side is the Tenderloin. As you more forward up the chine (spine), the tenderloin decreases in size, as does the NY striploin. After a certain point (I'm not sure where) the porterhouse loin becomes the t-bone loin.

This is how I believe the critter is put together. Of course, like pacanis said, we really need that poster that shows where the cuts come from. Some 3-D images would be helpful in showing the relationship of the tenderloin to the rest of the animal. Anybody got a NAMPS book?

When you're talking chickens/turkey, the "tenderloin" isn't what it is in mammals. The "tenderloin" is actually part of the breast, and is the main muscle responsible for the up-stroke of the wings.

Allen, do you know why the strip is named "NY"? Did New Yorkers prefer this cut over the rest?

when I grill a roast and call it steak. it is then dubbed "brontasauras steak" usually it is a chuck roast that I marinate for about an hour when done we cut very then slices of yummy med. rare meat

This was certainly a 2-day piece of meat africhef (lol). Very good on the reheat, too.

Just salt and pepper. That's all I ever put on steak. Plus the sauce of course. I don't like a lot of seasonings directly on the meat, nothing that could take away very much from the actual beef flavor.

That's how I buy our steaks also Pacanis.When you purchase the whole section and cut it yourself, it's not only less expensive, but you also have the option of cutting your steaks to the thickness that you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom