I won again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
I wasn't sure where to post this thread...but...

I won the chili cookoff for the second year in a row! Hooray! Our church held a Fall Festival and had a chili cookoff and games for the kids. It was very fun. And also for the second year in a row, I labeled my dish as "medium spice" and someone moved it to "spicy". Heh, heh.

The only disappointment was that I made it gluten-free for two families in the area who can't have it (and my son) and those families didn't even show up! Too bad for them, because they missed out on some awesome chili!

That's so cool, B'sgirl. Bet it was yummy. How much did you have to make? How was the weather? Cool enough to enjoy it? It's still low 80s here and still too warm to appreciate one of my fav. cool weather treats - chili

Wow, congrats, B'sgirl!!! That's fantastic!

Is your recipe a secret? If not, would you please post it? My neighbor has just been diagnosed with celiac disease, and his wife is not a cook. I'd like to make him something.

Lee

I am yet to venture into chili making. I don't know why I haven't. Most likely because I do not like beans. My wife loves chili. Maybe I should. Could you please share your recipe.

That is AWESOME B'sgirl!!!! Congrats! I love chili too and made some tonight for dinner!!!!

That's so cool, B'sgirl. Bet it was yummy. How much did you have to make? How was the weather? Cool enough to enjoy it? It's still low 80s here and still too warm to appreciate one of my fav. cool weather treats - chili

It is definitely cool enough here. We had our first snow several weeks ago, and it has been freezing every night for weeks. It's perfect chili weather!

Wow, congrats, B'sgirl!!! That's fantastic!

Is your recipe a secret? If not, would you please post it? My neighbor has just been diagnosed with celiac disease, and his wife is not a cook. I'd like to make him something.

I don't believe in secret recipes. If I've got useful knowledge I'll share it and the world will be richer for it! Unless of course, you want to sell it, which I don't. So here's the recipe:

It is adapted from a gourmet cookbook From Our House to Yours, but I've changed it quite a bit.

olive oil (enough to fry onions and brown beef)
abt 3lbs beef (I used a chuck roast), cubed
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 or 5 outer cloves of garlic, minced
2 or 3 hot peppers--to desired hotness (I prefer serranos), finely chopped
1 tbsp cumin, then taste when cooked and add more if desired
1/2 cup flour (I used brown rice flour to make it gluten-free, but any flour will do)
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste (I like a lot)
1 cup grated carrot
3 stalks celery, chopped
tomatoes--I used two quarts drained home-canned tomatoes, 1 14.5oz stewed tomatoes w/chipotle chilies, and about 5 fresh tomatoes. You can also use 4 cans instead of using home-bottled tomatoes, or a similar amount of fresh tomatoes. Just add until it looks "tomatoey" enough.

3 or 4 Anaheim peppers, finely chopped
2 cans black, pinto, or kidney beans (I used black and kidney)

Garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, grated cheese, finely chopped red onion

1. Fry onions in oil until soft, add beef and garlic. Cook until beef is browned.
2. Dump beef and onions into crock pot or stock pot. Add cumin, flour, salt and pepper. Add hot peppers, Anaheims, celery, carrot, and tomatoes. (If using crock pot cook on high for 3-4 hours, low for 5-6 hours, and if using a stock pot it only takes about an hour--I used a 14qt crock pot). As it cooks check to see if it needs more flour to thicken or more water if it gets too dry.
3. 30 minutes before it's finished add rinsed and drained beans. Taste and add salt, pepper, and cumin if needed.
4. Dish in warmed bowls and top with garnishes.

It's a lot of work but it is so worth it. You can freeze it for a month or refridgerate for 5 days.

Congratulations, B'sgirl. The other contestants are going to be working overtime next year to take the title away from you.

Your recipe looks great and I appreciate you sharing it with us. I've put it in my cookbook and can hardly wait to try it. We're expecting some freezing rain and snow in the coming week, so it might be a good time to give it a go. Thanks!

JoeV

Back
Top Bottom