Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   How do you get into the spirit of the holidays? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/how-do-you-get-into-the-spirit-of-the-holidays-51430.html)

texasgirl 10-26-2008 01:35 PM

How do you get into the spirit of the holidays?

I have the hardest time getting into Christmas anymore. I opened a candle that I forgot about that was cinnamon apple. It smells like Christmas to me. It actually made me think of it and I'm hoping that burning this and others will help me get in the mood. What does it for you?

sattie 10-26-2008 01:41 PM

LOTS of eggnog!!! Seriously, I have a hard time with it as well. But looking forward to spending time with good friends and loved ones usually helps. And food!!!

David Cottrell 10-26-2008 01:47 PM

Thanks for the question texasgirl, may I answer with a question for starters and the question is because I am searching also. Question is, what does Christmas mean to you?

roadfix 10-26-2008 01:52 PM

I just let the holidays come and go. I don't make or force myself get into the holiday spirit. One morning I'll wake up and I'll feel it. But on the other hand, I may not get it. I guess it all depends on what's happening in your life where you sometimes need to prioritize things......and as I grow older, the winter holidays are becoming a less important part of my life, feeling wise.

suziquzie 10-26-2008 02:37 PM

Crank up the Christmas tunes and start bakin' cookies!
That or make some holiday related craft of some sort.

When I'm done making candycorns I found a little turkey to crochet...
and snowmen and santa and reaindeer and.... and... and...
:)

luvs 10-26-2008 02:41 PM

snow & smelling winter.

snack_pack85 10-26-2008 02:51 PM

I agree with Suzie, I always put on christmas music and sing away. I also make baskets of sweets every christmas for neighbors and family, I pack with all sorts of christmas goodies. If that doesn't do it.... I hibernate ;)

kadesma 10-26-2008 02:58 PM

I've always loved Christmas, the lights, the beautiful colors, the real meaning of the season..But if you're wavering and resenting the buy this and that part of it, take the time to just sit and watch a small child as they look around at those lights and decorations and the realization that it's Christmas. And yes the expectation of a toy from Santa,.To them it's magical, warm, loving time, they don't put a price on anything, they just wallow in it and the smiles and hugs and excited sparkling eyes, if that doesn't give you just a little feeling of love then , Oh how I wish I could give a minute of looking at things through the eyes of a small child.

kadesma

texasgirl 10-26-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Cottrell (Post 711182)
Thanks for the question texasgirl, may I answer with a question for starters and the question is because I am searching also. Question is, what does Christmas mean to you?

Don't get me wrong, I love the decoration that other people do, but, for some reason, I just can't get my house to have that "feel". I don't know how else to say it. It just doesn't feel right anymore. I have gone and bought all new stuff to make it better, but, did not help. I haven't cared for it since losing my mom. She WAS Christmas in this family:sad: Family is what Christmas means to me. I don't care about gifts or any of that. I loved all of us getting together.
I like getting together and seeing my family, but, it's just not the same.
Another thing is that there are no kids around anymore, so, the Santa Claus stuff is gone for me. I just thought that if I got some ideas here, I could try them out.

texasgirl 10-26-2008 03:40 PM

I love the music. THAT I have to have every year. Maybe, IF, I have grandkids, it will come back, I hope it does.