Too much celery in my soup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Laster

Assistant Cook
We made old fashioned German green kale soup & used too much celery-now our 2 huge pots of soup is way too bitter!! What should we do??

The only thing you can do is make more soup with no celery at all and combine the batches. I'd also fish out all the celery in the current batch.

Hey Tom...Welcome to DC!!! Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm not familiar with your German Green Kale Soup...However, about the only thing that I know of that will solve your problem with out affecting the over all integrity of your soup is to make another batch and put NO celery in it....Mix the two batches together and things should balance out!! HTH

Enjoy!

Ive usually had the opposite thing happen, where the kale was the bitterness to the dish. Usually with me, the celery actually gets less bitter when cooked. Just my experience

Did you use a water base for the soup or chicken stock? You can spoon out large spoonfuls of the broth and add in some chicken stock. I do this sometimes when I make soup that come out too spicy or salty.

response to question

we used chicken broth but we think problem occured because we ground celery at the same time as the green kale.

Tom I don't believe "when" you ground the celery or with what would have any affect on it's bitterness. Larry Stewart brings up a good point...The Kale may be the culprit---not the celery. Only you can determine that. Either way --- the solution is the same...make another batch with out the "culprit" and mix the two batches together.

Enjoy!

Celery issue

thanks we realized we may be pulling out all of stops-especially me because it was my idea to grind everthing together to save time. We literally "grind it the old fashioned way" because it is my wife's grandfather's recipe! He was first generation German & she only does it his way. Living in Chicago we have a short time frame to get the fresh kale-and we made a lot of it-freeze much of it & give back to her huge Iowa farm family. I am from Denver and had never heard of it before-it's pressure time?!! Nothing like politics but family can be pressure making when dealing with tradition. Thank you for your advice! Tom

ditch and recover

I didn't know about this site-just found it in desperation and it is great! I think we need to rescue the meats, ditch the broth, and get to cooking and quickly! I personaly think it was too much kale and not the celery. Thanks to everyone-great site-and we will be back-probably asking for help once again. I will post the "real" recipe soon for those that want to try it. Hopefully, you guys can try it and let us know what you think and even give us new additions to it that can make it even better if that is possible. If one loves color and taste, this soup is for you. Tom from Denver via Chicago

Back
Top Bottom