Acne - A Touchy Subject

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Admitting that I have and deal with acne is very embarrasing for me to discuss or even say that I have it.

I have dealt with it for years. Oddly enough, I did not start getting acne till around 17 or 18. At that point, it came on with such a fierceness that it actually kept me from having a social life. I had tried everything in the book, doctors, antibiotics, topical cremes, etc... to no avail. Antibiotics worked for a while, but after 6 months on one type of antibiotic, it was time to change to a new one since my body had developed a resistance to it. More doctors, more dermatologists, more cremes, more this, more that.... still no end in sight to my acne plight.

Got off the antibiotics... pills are not for me, medication is not for me. Here I am taking my first steps into 40ism and the only thing I have found to work for me is Proactive. (This is no means an advertisement for them... just what I have found to work for me.) I have been using it over a year now and have had pretty decent results. The only drawbacks is that the solutions they send you tend to bleach out stuff. My pillow cases for my 800 count Egyptian cotton sheets are now riddled with white spots. Any towel I use to dry my face went from beautiful blue to white. And, my face is dry, I can't seem to get it mosturized enough. But... I have minimal breakouts and I'm thankful for it.

I have often wanted to try other treatments... specially something that is more natural. But since I have found something that 'works', I'm somewhat reluctant to try.

I know this is a touchy and somewhat embarrasing subject for some, so I understand if you choose not the share your experiences. But I do wonder who here has dealt with it and what worked for you. (I'm still hoping I will grow out of this!!!!)

For those of you that never has had to deal with acne... you are blessed, it is not to say that your life is perfect, but understanding the courage one has to build up to face the world each day looking like you do. I know there were days I would not leave the house. I even use to put make-up on in as dim as light possible so I would not see the blemishes. I can't count the hours I spent looking in the mirror crying wondering "Why me???"

Sorry this got so long... not like me to type a novel, but please, if you are willing to share, I would love to know what you are doing/have done to over come it.

No acne.

I would say go ahead and try something new, you can always switch back. Another idea is to try out different skin moisturizers, maybe there is something out there that will not make your skin dry out so much.

Good luck!

I have not had to deal with it, my stepdaughter has. It seems as serious as you are talking about.

She used Acutane (sp). There were some bad side effects. If this si something you would consider PM me and I can point you to her blog on the subject. If not, it is another to avoid.

HTH

AC

I can feel your pain Sattie! I had it all through school from the time I hit puberty until I was out of high school. I was on many different types of meds prescribed by dermatologist. The only one that somewhat worked was RetinA (I think). All I remember was that it was a white cream and I think it was 5% compared to the .5% that was being sold over the counter at the time. You had to be careful with it because it could cause burns. This was quite a few years ago so I am sure they have come out with many other things since then. I found that the only thing that really worked though was just time, and that will not help everyone. I was lucky that my problem just went away at some point. I hope the same happens for you!

GB... I kept thinking mine would go away.... 25 years later, guess what? I have to say it is not as bad as it has, but still a pain to deal with.

Adillo... I have considered Accutane, but I have been told that my acne was not sever enough. And after reading about the side effects, I am very reluctant to try it. That may be a last ditch effort for me if I get tired of using what I am using now.

Sattie, I'm not known for being very articulate, or mushy, but I want to say a few things. Maybe my thoughts come from age, or just good genes, or a very wonderful and wise and sensative mother, but I want to tell you some things my mother taught me.....

#1. GOD doesn't make garbage! PERIOD!

#2. When I was about 7 (1962) I saw a young boy, much older than me, probably about 12 or 13, that had burns, scars and peely skin on most of his face and arms, his chest (he was wearing a button down shirt and the top part of his chest showed) was all scarred too. He was missing the tops of his fingers on his right hand to the middle joint and the rest of his hand was all crooked. He was mostly bald with soft whisps of hair among scar tissue.
Ears, forget about it. Just holes. But he was with a woman in the same lucheonette we were eating at and doing the best he could to eat his lunch without drawing attention. It wasn't a pretty sight.
I was in shock & in amazement all at the same time. I couldn't help saying, "Ma, ma LOOK!", in a very loud whisper. "Ma" explained he was a boy who was in a house fire, lost his family and was being raised by extended family. Pointed out how lucky he was to be alive and how much pain he must be in emotionally and physically. If anything, be his friend and ally. NO ONE would wish for what he had been through. And asked if I would want that for myself?
Saddie, that was my check. No one wants any illness. They don't choose this. That poor boy. What he must have gone through.
What makes you a good person is what is going on inside. Because of, inspite of, whatever.
I hope the doctors, researchers can find something for you to help your exterior. I really do. But don't let it ruin the good in you.
None of us knew what you looked like. We still like you. Anyone who would change that after seeing you just doesn't need to be here. PERIOD!

(Thanks, ma!)

While I never have had an acne problem, I had friends who did..Funny thing was I never noticed it..People are people, acne, no acne you're still beautiful.
I know it 's awful for you to look in the mirror and try to hide what you see. I sometimes just sit and cry at what has happened to my face after my kidney's failed...Where there were no lines, now there are all kinds and I look like someone else...It was quite a shock coming home from the hospital where they refused to give me a mirror and seeing myself, I cried..I moaned and wined..Til one certain little boy came and sat on my lap and said Ma, I love you and I always will, please don't cry, cuz at least you are here with me and I don't care if you have some lines in your face, it's still my Ma's face and I love it.What can you answer to that? You dig in and decide, hide or say to heck with it and live life each day glad that you are you...Look around for a good moisturizer, try all kinds, I find an oive oil liquid on top of my make up gives ma some shine, but makes it look as if my skin is alive.
sattie, I'm glad you're you, you be glad to:)

kadesma

:) Sattie, I had really bad skin when I was younger that was caused by birth control pills as soon as I got off of them it went away. I have heard that too much iodine in your diet can aggravate it, you find iodine in seafood and any kind of salty types of food. I have also heard that taking zinc supplements can help clear things up. Maybe adding some foods and avoiding other foods to your diet can help out. I know how you feel it's makes one so self concience it's hard to handle sometimes. I'm glad you brought it up because maybe someone here has an answer for you.

Oh geez. I did forget something/someone.
James Woods. One of my favorite actors. Now no one can tell me he's a hunk by looks. But his talant/chutzpah and personality catch my attention every time.

i was one of the lucky ones, never had acne at all. my poor sis did and i think just out grew it. for the dryness on your face, which i do have, use olay or skin-so-soft from avon. no perfumed if you can find it. when i say dry skin, i mean really dry. constant battle.
i know it makes you feel bad and i am sorry. be kind to yourself

:) You may want to try this Benefits of Blemish Control

it's a bit pricey but you only need a little and they will send your money back if it doesn't work I've used the straight up oil on my face for about three years and I'm very happy. Not only that but the straight up oil helps with many other issues. I used it when I cut a big chunk out of my hand washing a glass and it did help the wound heal faster. Go ahead and go through the whole site and learn. You do not want to buy Emu oil from some other companies as some are not approved and sell contaminated oils. Emu oil is just like the oil in our bodies and sinks deeper because of that. If only one thing it will fix your dry skin.:)
Oh and I really like the Purple Rub it works great on mild carpel tunnel and no I do not benefit from this company in any way it's just a product I like.

I never had a problem with acne until I got pregnant. My hormones never changed back so I still get it. Not really bad on my face but it's terrible on my back.

Sattie, its more common than you think. I too, still deal with it at 49 y.o.And like you, it didn't even begin until I was in my 20's. Lots of different treatments, dermatologists etc, but now it seems to be subsiding. Of course, I haven't had a haircut since 1996, don't own a comb (if you have a hat why buy a comb?) and I'm still hangin' on to my "members only" jacket, so obviously I don't get too worked up about how I look. I am who I am-those who have a "problem" with the way (insert higher power of your choice here) made me are free to leave at anytime.

I know lots of people who use Proactiv and swear by it. Like anything else, it too has some side effects and drawbacks. Seems like anything I ever tried that actually worked resulted in very dry skin. Accutane, on the other hand, should only be used as a last resort, in the most severe cases. A family member had a child born with a multitude of "problems" that the Drs said were likely caused by the accutane.

Besides Sattie-Ones true "beauty" comes from within. And as anyone whos gotten to know you can attest, in that regard you are truly "blemish"-free :) :) ;)

One of my best friends suffered from acne for many years until he turned vegetarian. It cleared up in a few short months.
i am agreeing here. A LOT of people suffer from this...myself included. If I go on a raw diet, nothing but fresh raw veggies and water, i have BEAUTIFUL skin. carrot juice is a skin savior! One wrong move, and I am ashamed to go in public for days. It runs your life. It seriously affects my social life. Everyone tells me i am so cute, nothing but charming, wonderful person, but I have a bad skin day/week, I am an anti-social hermit. It sucks. It seems so unfair some people can consume nothing BUT junk food and their skin is beautiful. I am sure they have their health complaints, but having a skin flare up, to me, is unbearable. It is out there for the whole world to see.

I never had a problem with acne until I got pregnant. My hormones never changed back so I still get it. Not really bad on my face but it's terrible on my back.
agree here too! i had beautiful skin until pregancy in 1997. since then, been nothing but constant breakouts! grrrrrr!

Have I told you guys that I love you????? Seriously... I don't know how you find a place like this with such loving and caring people, so accepting despite my mistakes... my issues, whatever else is wrong with me at the moment.

Vegitarianism? I have often thought a cleansing diet might be the answer. The problem is I like meat. DH would never dream of not having a meat with his meal. So there lies a problem for me. I don't think I could cook him meat and serve it to him while I eat a salad.... well... it may be easier for me to make such a change than him. I appreciate the replies. I appreciate you taking time out to even read this thread.

I will say I have more good skin days than bad. I know the dryness is stemmed partly from the cool weather and the treatment. My skin is not oily like it normally is. And since it is not oily, my skin looks older. I'm afraid to 'mix' stuff. Meaning my skin is so sensitive that I feel it is better that I use one line of products. It is my thought they were made to go with each other. So I am somewhat reluctant to try a moisturizer that is not from the same line of Proactive products.

However, you have hit on something that makes me wonder if a diet change would keep me from having to spend $$$ on drugs and chemicals. (I do eat lots of fish, and I adore salty foods!!!)

Kadesma... I know the pain you have experienced, and I know it is for much different circumstances. I know no one deserves this and I know my outwardly issues are not near as bad as what some deal with. Actually... I feel kinda of petty for even bringing it up. With all the hurt, pain, problems, I'm certain my little problem with acne is small in comparison. (I'm reminded up each day and just did not even dawn on me until I started reading some of the posts here.)

I want to thank you all.... things could be so much worse than they are and I am thankful for what I have. Thankful for the friends here. Thankful that I am in a position to help others in need. I do not want to discount any reply to this thread... I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness!

My skin got very bad after returning home from backpacking when I was 22. I used Roaccutane and it cleared up very quickly and never had any problems since. A lot of people have bad side effects though - I was lucky that I never did. One thing is that you can't have kids for about 3 years after using it(if I remember correctly) and apparently studies have found it linked to depression.

:) You may want to try this Benefits of Blemish Control

it's a bit pricey but you only need a little and they will send your money back if it doesn't work I've used the straight up oil on my face for about three years and I'm very happy. Not only that but the straight up oil helps with many other issues. I used it when I cut a big chunk out of my hand washing a glass and it did help the wound heal faster. Go ahead and go through the whole site and learn. You do not want to buy Emu oil from some other companies as some are not approved and sell contaminated oils. Emu oil is just like the oil in our bodies and sinks deeper because of that. If only one thing it will fix your dry skin.:)
Oh and I really like the Purple Rub it works great on mild carpel tunnel and no I do not benefit from this company in any way it's just a product I like.

no joke, my daughter was attacked by an emu out in the boons. she was walking a horse from on ranch to another and he jumped out of bushes on top of her. she said it stunk awful and had oily stuff on it. it put many scratchs on her arms. one left a very bad scar. crazy huh:ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom