Chilli for 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
I'm going to make a chilli for a church event. It needs to be for about 25. I'm okish on the ingredients, but am unsure on the quantities, can anyone guide me on how much ground meat to use and an indication of the quantities of spices I need.

Ray

how much other food is being served? If your liek 1 of the main providers you will need more then say if there were 8 different main coarses.

ive never measured anything on my chili but you can try using like all recipes.com and look up a chili recipe and then convert it and get a good estimate.

I never measure my spices so I can't help you there. As far as meat goes I'd count on between 1/4 to 1/2 lb per person. I frequently make large amounts of chili for a homeless shelter and we feed about 50. I usually start with about 20-25 lbs of ground beef. Sometimes I'll cut back on the beef and make up the rest in sausage. We usually have enough so people can get seconds and then they can eat until they are full or it is gone. We usually have some left over but not much. For serving 25 I'd probably start with 10 lbs of beef and 2-3 lbs bulk sausage. Once you get everything mixed together, start adding your spices. I just dump it in and taste. You'll want to use chili powder, paprika, maybe some cumin, and I use seasoned salt and pepper. Just add it and taste until you get the flavor you want.

Take your normal chili recipe that you know the contents and yield of----then 5 X it or 10 X it---Whatever you need to do to get to 25-30 people. A little extra to be safe!

Fun!

Back
Top Bottom