Quick rice question - will it turn pink from dried cranberris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I'm going to make a version of Georgian chicken tonight for the DW. I swapped out the cherries for dried cranberries. Will the rice turn pink from the cranberries?

I think I'll swap the chicken out for some game hens or something small like that.

Not sure why it is called Georgian chicken, but that is beside the point. I think every culture has a chicken similar to this. I wouldn't worry about rice color. The Color of the cherries would be much stronger than cranberries. The only concern I have from reading the recipe is rice stuffing. Basmati rice cooks really fast, and in my opinion will be ready in 15 minutes, id it is going to seat in the oven for another 2 hours, it’s going to became a mush (is it a word?). I do always precook my rice for stuffing but I use rice that cooks much longer compare to basmati rice.

Game or a small bird will have very small cavity so there will be very little room for the stuffing.

Mush - Is definately a word, and you used it correctly.

The reason I wanted to use smaller birds is because I get home so late. was also thinking of precooking the rice using chicken stock, then stuff the birds when they are 3/4 way cooked. That way the rice is still fresh and the birds will cook faster since the cavity is open.

Charlie, do you have any ideas to add anything to make it more.....Georgian? I was thinking a plum sauce, but I just don't have the time during the week.

Plum sauce (tkemali, as they call it) served on a side is definitely yum and very Georgian, if it is the right sauce. You can find really nice sweet and spicy in pretty much any Russian store, you should have them in NJ. Also fresh Cilantro might make more authentic.

Otherwise you have pretty good idea. And we are on the same page with rice. I like Nigella and her cooking. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks. I made tkemali once before. The recipe I followed used alot of tarragon which overpowered the plum flavor. Do you have a recipe for it?

No, unfortunately I do not. Real Tkemaly uses the special plum, I have never seen them here in Minnesota. That doesn't mean that they are not available in different states. I can see if I can find one on some Russian site if you want. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom