When to use cooking spray over oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Okay I was talking with a friend the other day and we were talking about cooking spray versus oil. She said there is no reason to have cooking spray because oil can do all the same things and more. I argued that there must be some uses where cooking spray is better, except I could not think of a specific example. Can anyone think of a situation where cooking spray is actually superior to oil? (other than low fat cooking...I mean is there anything cooking spray can do that oil can't?) thanks

Cooking spray is just aerosolized oil, but it often has other things added in for propellant and whatnot. I prefer to use pure oil so I know what I am getting.

To me it's just a matter of convenience. I use it to spray cooking sheets or cake pans etc. because it's easier. I use commercial sprays such as Pam and I also have a pump spray bottle that I fill with olive oil. I use that to spray meats before cooking.

Cooking spray is just aerosolized oil, but it often has other things added in for propellant and whatnot. I prefer to use pure oil so I know what I am getting.

I couldn't agree more. I much prefer to use oil in cooking. If you want a spray so you can control the amount of oil you are using or if you just want to spray food before placing in the oven do what I do: Buy a small spray bottle and put an amount of oil into it and - uh spray. Far cheaper, you already have the oil on hand and you're using a pure, unadulterated product.

Edit: Oops sorry Andy, didn't see your post.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom