Have you seen The Nutcracker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Has anyone seen a real ballet production of The Nutcracker? What company was it?
I have never been, but, one day would love to. What company would be best?? If I spend the money, I want to come away remembering it for the rest of my life as the best evening I've ever had, not as I wish I hadn't spent the money or time going.

Some time ago I saw Nutcracker at the Boston Ballet. I have nothing to compare it to. I am not a dance afficionado. They perform the Nutcracker every Christmas season and it's responsible for half their revenue for the year. Quite a hike for you.

TG, I've seen it a couple of times. I've seen the Alberta Ballet company and I THINK I saw the Royal Winnipeg do it. (Can't remember that one very well I was only 10 or so at the time)

Its a lovely production but you have to truly love ballet for it to be a lifetime memory I think.

I've never seen a large production. I saw it a couple times in Charlotte when we took kids to see it on field trips.

:)Barbara

I remember seeing it when I was a kid. I'm not sure who put it on, I'm sure a local group, but it was quite the production at the time. I probaby saw it two or three times, so I know the gist of the story and a few tunes are remembered.

Yes, we've seen it and I would go again. Our local (Ocala, Fl) Civic Theater does it every year, and the costumes, scenery, music and dancing are just beautiful. I would urge you to go at least one time, even if it's not performed by a national company.

I saw it at Radio City Music Hall when I was about 7 or 8. I remember the Rockettes more than the play actually lol.

TG, I've seen it a couple of times. I've seen the Alberta Ballet company and I THINK I saw the Royal Winnipeg do it. (Can't remember that one very well I was only 10 or so at the time)

Its a lovely production but you have to truly love ballet for it to be a lifetime memory I think.

I saw a production of Cinderella when I was 5 with my school. I loved it. I remember the the music, the dancing. If I could have, I would have gone again. I have seen The Nutcracker on tv, but, just not the same at all.

I saw it years ago as a Christmas gift from & with the grandma at Radio City. Other minor productions as well, but don't remember who. All when I was young.

I have seen The Nutcracker on tv, but, just not the same at all.

You are so right about seeing it in person, as well as choosing a production company. I have seen Phantom of the Opera four times, and one production company that did it in Cincinnati, Ohio was like a bunch of amateurs. We left at the break because it was so bad, and a lot of people followed us out the door. The Cleveland, Ohio productions were very good (took each daughter as a special night out with Dad when each turned 12), but the best was with my wife at the Pantages Theater in Toronto, Canada. I only wish we would have been able to see it in New York City. I hear that was the best.

You may not have a choice of production companies unless you are willing to travel. If that's an option, you should have a great time.

The Houston Ballet has several performances in December. When the children were younger it was an annual event for us.

Ditto on the Phantom. I saw it in Toronto several years ago. When the cassette tape finally got eaten, I replaced it with the CD. Just listening to it brings back the memories of the production.

The Seattle Symphony and Pacific Northwest Ballet have done the Nutcracker around Christmas every year for the last 20 couple years. I've seen it a couple of time during that time.

Mrs qmax & I do at least one stage production a year. Last one was Cabaret, last April. Was every bit as well done as anything we have seen in London.

Ditto on the Phantom. I saw it in Toronto several years ago. When the cassette tape finally got eaten, I replaced it with the CD. Just listening to it brings back the memories of the production.
We're that way with "Wicked." We listen to the music all the time.

:)Barbara

If you google Moscow Ballet Tickets, you can scroll down to the bottom of the home page and click on your state to find out when they will be performing in a town close to you and with dates and times of the performance.

You can also google Nutcracker and your state name to find other performances close to you.

Denver has several each year. This was a regular part of the Christmas tradition for us also. Be sure to get your tickets early though wherever you decide to go.

When I was little and we lived in NYC my mother dragged us to everything on the planet.
I saw one, I dont know if I'm right so correct me please...
Lincoln Center?
Early 80's late 70's.... no clue on who.
Maybe someone like VeraBlue or buckytom could help me....
Now I'd like to know!!!
( without calling my mother.....)

I saw it performed by the Skyline elementry "company" last year. I may be a little biased, but I thought it was brilliant!!

my dream is to see it performed by a real Boshoi ballet company stage..........(by the way, bolshoi means big in Russian) poor Tchaichovsky ....he lived with a harridan of a wife.......

Stacy, I took 14 years of classical ballet, pointe, tap, jazz and modern dance. I have even choreographed and danced to the Russian Dance. If you let me know which ballet company is coming to your area, I will do my best to let you know whether it is a good company or not. Sadly, we no longer have our Cleveland Ballet Company. It was excellent. Some corps are better than others.

May I also suggest that you stay away from the front rows--you need some perspective or all you will see is feet. You want to be in the middle of the theatre if you can.

I've seen the Cincinnati Ballet's production of Nutcracker several times. My husband refuses to see it again - but I love going to see it, it puts me in the Christmas mood. Who can resist the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies?!

Back
Top Bottom