Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pork (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/)
-   -   Desperately seeking Bratwurst Help! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/desperately-seeking-bratwurst-help-51739.html)

LPBeier 11-05-2008 01:44 PM

Desperately seeking Bratwurst Help!

The combination of my feeling so much better and wanting to cook again, DH's being laid off so money is once more tight, and the fact that while I was convalescing people gave us meals and DH bought everything in site, I inventoried my freezer and have been busily cooking up stuff that is coming to it's frozen prime.

One item we were given is a four kg bag of Thuringa Bratwurst Sausages (probably about 40 large). They were all frozen together in one bag so I had to thaw the whole thing. These are the white bratwursts and not DH's favourite, though I like them once in awhile.

Anyway, I have thawed them and boiled them and have no clue what to do with them next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

quicksilver 11-05-2008 01:49 PM

You already boiled them? I would have boiled in beer, or saurkraut. Or slightly boiled them and grilled to completion.
Now that they are already boiled, I don't know what to say, other than you can refreeze what you don't need immediately now that they are cooked. They'd be a quick meal to defrost next time.

LPBeier 11-05-2008 01:56 PM

I actually only par-boiled them so all is not lost. I did this because I didn't know how long they had been frozen before we got them and didn't know how fast I could use them.

I was thinking I could grill some at this point but wondered if there was some fancy dishes people knew of.

As for the beer, I can't cook with alcohol because of my border and DH (who is German) hates saurkraut.

Thanks Quicksilver for the reply.

pacanis 11-05-2008 01:57 PM

That's what I was going to say. Refreeze them in the size packages you want. Keep some out to experiment with.

quicksilver 11-05-2008 02:01 PM

Well, yo could always fry em up like italian sausage, peppers and onions and fried potatoes. Nothing fancy, but good.

miniman 11-05-2008 02:05 PM

Slice them up and use on pizza.
Giant hot dogs
make a paella or gumbo and include them chopped up
make an unusual chilli

sattie 11-05-2008 02:06 PM

Ohhhhhh... but wait.... is this part of the mania?????? LOL!!!!

LPBeier 11-05-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sattie (Post 719022)
Ohhhhhh... but wait.... is this part of the mania?????? LOL!!!!

Yes, but I promise this is the LAST of it. Wait, didn't I see some pork chops....nah, I will leave them for next week!

sattie 11-05-2008 02:09 PM

Sorry Laurie... I had to razz you a bit!!! :lol::angel:

LPBeier 11-05-2008 02:12 PM

Hey, razz away! I mean who comes off of a year of convalescing and then piles a year of cooking in one week? Me, and I deserve all the razzing you want to give me! I just don't like wasting food.