Bugs coming in for the winter....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
It's getting pretty cold here now, and some bugs are starting to come into my ewie apartment (thank god I'm moving in a few weeks to our NEW HOUSE!) This apartment for some reason always has a fly in it.. it's so disgusting, I hate flies (and spiders and bugs and and and... *sniff*). I can't bring myself to kill it, I'm so disgusted.... Are any of you having the same issue? How do you deal with it if you hate bugs as much as I do?

We have had a persistent fly the last few weeks. We have an electric fly swat and I finally caught it on that and that was the end.

We get SWARMED with Asian Lady beetles... look like lady bugs but much MEANER!
They get in while its warm in the fall.... luckily (sorta) the bottom is going to fall out of the temp tonight and get cold, and they will stop trying to be my roomates. The ones that got in will die off soon and become one with my vacuum cleaner.
:)

I get what they call cluster flies. Every fall they want to move in. They come out three or four at a time every time I have a warm day until spring, when they will all move out.
Even though I spray for spiders every year, I need to call an exterminator for the flies every fall, right when the weather starts to change. He sprays the whole house, siding, windows, everything. It works to keep them at bay.
I wouldn't worry about it, Saphellae, since you're moving, but you might need to get the new place sprayed if you have the same problem next fall.

I don't think we'll have the same problem. It's just not a nice apartment, and it's surrounded by trees.... It's not a legal apartment. It's someones house, with an apartment above their garage.... it's pretty bad, carpet in the bathroom, some mouldy carpet in the corner in the living room.. sick. 3 more weeks! lol

:)We get a few flies in the fall I use one of those sticky fly strips they work good. Then we get the occasional spider that comes down at night to drink my blood:LOL: They are usually easy to find and dispatch. Other then that some moths when it gets even colder we get a whole bunch of Woolly Bear Moths I like them they just look cool. We never need to spray the house as we just don't get many bugs I guess because of our elevation and dry climate.

http://www.pbase.com/lejun/image/28805923

My house is being taken over by ladybugs the last 2 weeks, like swarms! They gather in the corners of the rooms near the ceiling... it was cute at first, now I am ANNOYED!:mad:

ugh I think that may be what I have they are not orange but a lighter shade, almost a dark yellow... someone called them elm bugs, but a few people have said they bite? They have been nice to me tho, I have let them live... so far. mwwuhahhaahhhahhaha!:LOL:

We get SWARMED with Asian Lady beetles... look like lady bugs but much MEANER!
They get in while its warm in the fall.... luckily (sorta) the bottom is going to fall out of the temp tonight and get cold, and they will stop trying to be my roomates. The ones that got in will die off soon and become one with my vacuum cleaner.
:)

Haven't had any of the Asian ladybugs in the house, but I swept up a dustpan full in the shop on Thursday. Even discovered a couple in my car. Huh???

Someone told me the ladybugs were a sign of good luck. If that's the case, I threw out a dustpan full of good luck the other day.:LOL:

We have had a persistent fly the last few weeks. We have an electric fly swat and I finally caught it on that and that was the end.

I try to catch the flies and feed them to my fish.... they love flies!!!

I don't have so much trouble in the fall as I do in the spring... those dang May flies drive me up the wall!

Where were you guys when I met with my advisor and informed that I had to take an Entomology course (bugs---I didn't know either)........I had two choices in order to pass......either do original research (hahahaha) or have a 200 pinned insect collection representing the 13 orders and so many families (sorry, I forget)...........well, being the ONLY elementary education major in a class dominated by herpetology, agronomy, range sciend, soil biologists, etc., majors, I really felt on top of things.........as in NOT..........when it came time to "key" out an insect I didn't have a clue............luckily the prof took pity on his only dummy elementary education major and showed me what to do........if you understood the concept either/or you were doing fine............either its antennae were 5 segmented or you moved down on the chart........yes, you had to be under the age of menopause to take this class with good eyesight and enjoy looking thru a microscope for 3 hours straight on.........my favorite part of the class was hunting the insects with a net..........I became quite good at it..........which is why I'm jealous that y'all have these fellows coming to you willingly.............do you know how hard it is to catch a dragonfly and how more difficult it is to identify what family........you don't do it by their color.......oh, no.........you put their wings under the microscope and if a tiny vein in their wings v off then it's this family or if it c offs in a certain direction it's this family........do NOT take ento if you're in menopause and the eyesight is going..........where were you guys in 1975???

ooooh THAT is entertainment. Our bettas love it when a fly lands in their water. They turn into little pirahnas! And we watch like it's UFC or something! :cool:

I try to catch the flies and feed them to my fish.... they love flies!!!

I don't have so much trouble in the fall as I do in the spring... those dang May flies drive me up the wall!

ooooh THAT is entertainment. Our bettas love it when a fly lands in their water. They turn into little pirahnas! And we watch like it's UFC or something! :cool:

Oh yea!!! My compressiceps love the flies! So I try to swat them just enough to stun them and then toss them in the tank. I like watching them go after semi-live bait.

Oh yea!!! My compressiceps love the flies! So I try to swat them just enough to stun them and then toss them in the tank. I like watching them go after semi-live bait.
I love that word.......are they skinny like some of our favorite models.......are you sure that they will eat the flies.....or just the fake ones..............ok, are they fat-free flies???

Tanked fish going nuts on flies? ROFL! Have your kids catch a couple small Largemouth Bass, and put them in a tank by themselves (if it's legal). Feed them some minnows, once a day or so. The bass will be slopping water out of the tank! Check to make sure it's legal to keep gamefish in a tank first.

The only real prob we have with bugs here is moths coming in through the front door. Our porch light is right by the door, and they get sucked into the house when the door opens.

you know that I'm kidding all of you..........I'm going to push this as far as I can........though it's weird to be awake and seeing these cartoons at 9am........and horrible ones at that................maybe KZ isn't so bad after all...............honestly I could be writing the dialogue for this drivel called cartoon shows.............my granddaughter laughs and loves my goodnight stories.......ye would, too..........

Back
Top Bottom