Perfect Roasted Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's almost that time again, and we have a host of newbies around who may or may not know how to prepare the perfect turkey. So I'm going to share my method for prep and roasting. It provides me with a wonderfully juicy and tender turkey every time. I invite all of you to share your roasting techniques as well.

My technique is amazingly simple and hassle free. There is nothing complicated, and once the bird is in the oven, you forget it until it's done. This leaves you with plenty of time to take on other tasks.

Thaw turkey according to package directions. Remove the liver, gizzards, neck, and such form the bird. Wash all under cold, funning water. Place the innards into a large pot with enough water to cover, plus two inches. Cover and bring to a boil.

Preheat oven to 400' F.

While the pot is heating, wipe the bird down inside and out. Brush seasoned cooking oil, or your favorite compound butter all over the skin. Chop up arromatic veggies such as celery, onions, carrots, etc. Lightly salt the bird inside and out. Stuff with veggies and truss the leg ends together.

Turn down the heat on the boiling pot to simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. Strain and season the liquid with salt, pepper, onion powder, and sage. Let cool for about ten minutes while doing other chores.

Inject the turkey broth into multiple places in the breasts, the thighs, and the drumsticks. Reserve any left-over broth.

Place the bird onto a rack, breast-side up, in a suitable roasting pan, place into the hot oven. Roast for thirty minutes. Cover the breast with aluminum foil and place a digital meat thermometer probe into the thickest part of the breast, taking care to not touch the bone. Set the thermometer at 150' F., place back into the oven, and let it roast. Go about your daily business.

When the alarm goes off, remove the foil, without removing the thermometer, and put the turkey back into the oven. Increase the temperature to 425' and set the thermometer to go off at 155' F. Remove the turkey from the oven when the thermometer goes off and let rest twenty minutes before carving. To carve, remove the breast halves in a single piece, and carve across the grain, making sure that every slice gets some of the skin. Remove the thighs, wings, and cut apart the thighs from the drumsticks. Place the sliced breast meat onto a large serving platter as if it were uncut. Arrange the wings, thighs, and drumsticks on the platter sides. Place a mound of dressing/stuffing at the top and bottom of the platter. Serve with sides.

While the turkey is roasting, use the leftover broth to flavor the dressing. Bake the dressing in a large, microwave casserole dish about 15 minutes before suppertime. Or, use the broth to make StoveTop Stuffing, or whatever pre-made stuffing you prefer.

Others here will give you brining tips, or alternate methods of roasting, deep-frying, barbecuiing, or even slow-cooking your bird.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom