NEW Top Chef: N.Y.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im glad someone started this.

I missed the first 20 minutes but i got to see the rest.

im not to excited about jsut about everyone on there.

I do know the guy Danny threw like 2 degrees of seperation.

anyone else thoughts comments?

I'm not really a fan of "reality" shows per se, but I do like TC.

Seems a little early to make a call, but Stefan seems to be the frontrunner at this point. He certainly doesn't lack confidence!! Though FWIW, every season the winner seemed obvious to me, then that person lost in the end.

This years batch doesn't seem to be as foul-mouthed as last years, but we really haven't gotten to know them yet.

Yep-between "Top Chef" and "Sons of Anarchy" my Wednesday evenings are tied up for awhile!!!

I thought that this year's group didn't seem to be as strong culinarily as last year's, but we shall see.

I don't care much for Stefan, but haven't settled on a favorite yet. Maybe Gene.

It's the only show on TV that I "have" to watch. :rolleyes:

Since I do not have Food Network anymore the top chef is the only culinary show i have available to me, so I enjoy it. We shell see what happens.

I thought that this year's group didn't seem to be as strong culinarily as last year's, but we shall see.

I don't care much for Stefan, but haven't settled on a favorite yet. Maybe Gene.

I agree entirely.

What's with the CIA grads not being able to peel or brunoise apples?

Stefan was starting to grate on me by the end of the first episode. :glare:

Wow! I was just about to complain that we don't get BRAVO any more. Thanks for letting me know I can watch it on YOUTUBE!!!

I

+2

This year's group did not have any standouts in the first episode like we saw previously, especially from the creativity standpoint. I mean, I'm sure the food was good but there was nothing memorable. In season 3, Hung and Tre really stood out in the first challenge and in last season, Richard, Stephanie, and Dale really stood out in the first episode and you had strong showings from Andrew and a few others. None of the dishes blew me away creativity wise. I mean, they looked like restaurant dishes and I'm sure they tasted like such, but there was no "wow" factor. It looked like most of them played it safe in a way. I thought Leah's dish looked the most refined, but then she lucked out by getting the cuisine which is her strength.

Bottom line: A culinary student or a caterer will never win Top Chef. Carla will be among the next to go unless she's on the winning team in a team challenge and hangs on longer than she should (like Nikki from season 4).

Bottom line: A culinary student or a caterer will never win Top Chef.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't entirely agree about the caterer.

I started out in this business as a caterer, but I also, pretty early on, got some kick-a$$ restaurant experience. Imho, a caterer who got accepted for this show who wanted to do well could go work a couple of weeks, even in a restaurant kitchen to get the tempo -- which is SO important -- then they might have a chance.

Was it season 2 or 3 where Betty (a caterer) lasted to the top 4 ( I believe)?

In any case, I'm looking foward to tomorrow night's episode.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't entirely agree about the caterer.

I started out in this business as a caterer, but I also, pretty early on, got some kick-a$$ restaurant experience. Imho, a caterer who got accepted for this show who wanted to do well could go work a couple of weeks, even in a restaurant kitchen to get the tempo -- which is SO important -- then they might have a chance.

Was it season 2 or 3 where Betty (a caterer) lasted to the top 4 ( I believe)?

In any case, I'm looking foward to tomorrow night's episode.

True. If a caterer has line experience that's different. There are many caterers who started out with restaurant experience and then branched off into catering.

Betty made it through to the final 6, but that was due more towards the caliber of contestants on season 2. Had she been on either season 3 or 4 she would've gone out within the first few episodes.

Clearly, the ostrich egg alone was nothing. It's all about what is done with it (or in the case of Jill, what was NOT done with it)!

She was stupid to use an ingredient she was not familiar with -- Ostrich Egg. I'm sure it tastes different than chicken eggs.

And then, if you do insist on using something that odd, make use of its oddity. Don't mask it!

But I really think that Ariane needs to go. She's a CIA grad too:ermm:

She was stupid to use an ingredient she was not familiar with -- Ostrich Egg. I'm sure it tastes different than chicken eggs.

And then, if you do insist on using something that odd, make use of its oddity. Don't mask it!

But I really think that Ariane needs to go. She's a CIA grad too:ermm:

I'm guessing she will be next. It's really sad, too, because her cooking is stellar at her restaurant, Culinariane, in Montclair, NJ. Reservations are hard to come by. She just doesn't seem to have that competitive fight and confidence that's necessary to be successful on Top Chef.

It really is completely different than a regular restaurant. You have to be able to think and work diferently. It is almost like a survivor show. You are throwin into a jungle with nothing.

Wow, overall they suck this year. Four hours of total prep time and some of those dishes were horrible. Even the presentations looks like 80's hotel food (like Hosea's crap, I mean crab salad). And the choices of dishes. A quiche???? Are you kidding me??? Four hours to prep? The chance to put out a signature dish and you make a quiche???

So Stephan wins by basically ripping of Ferran Adria's olive dish from el Bulli but he wins because his food tastes good, and he's smart by making something that he knows will taste good. I thought Leah's dish had the best presentation, but flavor wasn't in the top 3. Eugene does meat loaf. How exciting. Like I said, I'm not impressed. In past seasons, there was always that "Wow, it would be tough going head to head against so-and-so". Not this season. Two challenges where they could really showcase their skills. No vendor machine stuff. No cooking for kids or the elderly. Just show your skills right from the start. Too bad they don't really have any.

And if you look at most of the top contestants from past seasons, they would be standing out this year too. Harold, Tiffany, Lee Anne, Sam, Cliff, Marcel, Hung, Tre, Stephanie, Dale, Richard, Antonia. They were all impressive from the first couple of episodes.

Back
Top Bottom