Roast beef at Randall's Deli for sandwiches? & sandwich questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldramon

Assistant Cook
I live in a area where the nearest grocery store, is a little, dirty, and their sandwich meat slices, uhm, are ok but nothing special. i could travel a little distance to Randalls, and get Deli slices of roast beef there. from the Randalls Deli, what is the most tasty brand for store cut roast beef sandwiches ?

also, i happen to like the american cheese that you get on your everday subway sandwich. its a white (not orange) american cheese, and taste a bit different than what you'd find at the grocery store. is there a good sandwich cheese that you can get from the grocery store, thats either the same cheese (not the orange american though) thats a dairy product and compliments a sandwich well ?

i also tend to only buy mrs bairds 7 grain honey wheat sandwich bread, just because its so darned yummy. i've tried your regular whole grain bread, and it's good for you, but i'm not sure why but i always go back to the 7 grain mrs brairds bread. based on my preference for 7 grain bread is there another bread, perhaps another brand, that his very yummy tasting good for sandwich stuff ? i do not like to experiement with bread often, because i dont want it to go to waste.

also it occurs to me that i like lettuce tomatos and various veggies on sandwiches too (i love subway for this reason) however the lettuce you get at the store, is whole, not cut, and a little time consuming to prepare into sandwich material, as well as things like onions, tomato slices, etc. i do like those things a whole bunch, and prefer that i not eat boring meals. do people ever cut a weeks worth of say, lettuce, tomato, onions and store them in bags or containers in the fridge ? i suppose that would be the way to do it rather than only cutting what you need for one meal ? i'm sure these are sounding like dumb questions, i'm just not too familiar with helping myself with food.

also, can you get the presliced black olives, the type they might have at subway, at the grocery store ? i seem to remember them only having bottled green olives that were whole :( those little olives seem like it might be a bit of a task to cut them up into thin slices.

thank you

Randall's is not bad for Roast beef and some cheeses, they quit carrying Boar's Head when Safeway bought them out about 10 years ago.

I really like Boar's Head the best, but stores that carry the brand are not always convenient (HEB, Kroger's) - Randall's is always the most convenient to me.

great. i'll try Boars Head. do any of you know, sometimes after purchasing roast beef, you store it in the plastic wrapper in comes in the fridge, it sort of forms a rainbowish pink-blue color to certain parts of the roast beef. is this any indication that the meat is bad ? what do those colors mean and how long can you store roast beef in the fridge ?

thank you

I've seen those colors before, but I don't know what they are. I do know that roast beef seems to get bad before regular lunchmeat, so I wouldn't keep it over a week. It will freeze, if you want to do that.

You can cut and store the onions, but not the lettuce or tomatoes. The lettuce will turn brown and the tomatoes will get nasty. You best bet with the tomatoes is to buy Romas (pear shaped tomatoes) so you can slice one and use all of it on your sandwich. Do not refrigerate tomatoes.

You can buy little bitty cans of pre-sliced black olives in the section where the other olives are.

Back
Top Bottom