Kim's Smokin' Chili!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Kim has been wanting to cooking a pot of chili using some of the smoked brisket we had in the freezer, and the weather today was perfect for it...cold and rainy.
He's never made chili before (usually just tries to tell me how to do it), so he let me advise him while he did the work. (Nice arrangement for me!"

It tickles me watching a man cook. The first thing he did was spend about 40 minutes sharpening all the knives on his electric grinder. Then we had a discussion about which pot to use. But finally, he got all his mise en place, and had everything simmering by lunch time. He then turned it on low until after we both had a nap (retirement is great), and after we got up, we adjusted the seasoning a little at a time. It ended up simmering about six hours.

Here's the ingredients:

Chili II
November, 2008-11-11

3 lbs. smoked beef brisket, chopped
2 lbs. hot pork sausage, roll type, cooked and drained
½ gallon cooked Santa Maria Pinquinto beans, cooked with juice
2 large and one regular can Bush’s Chili Hot Beans
2 tbls oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 tbls diced garlic
2 cans tomato paste
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 can beef consoume + 6 cans water
1 tsp dried oregano
3 tbls salt
3 tbls chili powder
2 tbls cumin
5-6 tbls brown sugar

In a large heavy pot, sweat onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add diced garlic and tomato paste and cook a little more. Add remaining ingredients, simmer and cook all day. (Don’t put full amounts of seasonings in until it cooks a while, then adjust seasoning.)

Makes about 4 gallons

Of course this would be a hard recipe to duplicate. The Pinquinto beans were already seasoned with southwest spices, onions and a ham bone, and you'd have to have leftover smoked brisket on hand. But it does show that you can use what you have around and turn it into something special! And this is really, really good!

A nap and a big old pot of chili on a cold, rainy day. With the one you love.

Sounds like a winner day to me, Connie! :)

Lee

Constance... I believe you have enough that you can send me some!!! Sounds great!!!

Well, y'all come! We need some good cheese dip and chocolate brownies, if anyone wants to pitch in.

Bob, I have a big bottle of Jim Beam...can you go that? I'm drinking beer and Kim's drinking Captain Morgan's, but we have a wide choice of beverages, including non-alcoholic.

Connie,
the whole thing from start to finish, nap included sounds like heaven;)

kades

Connie,
the whole thing from start to finish, nap included sounds like heaven;)

kades

Wish you could have been here, my friend!

Bob, we have some big glasses for your Beam, but you can drink it out of a bowl if that's what you wish! I've seen wilder times than that here. :ermm: Just keep it away from the dog, if you don't mind.

Unfortunately, the older we get, the higher the price we pay the next day. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom