What does Caviar taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cannot compare it to anything, has a slight fishy taste. They are fish eggs. I only like the little black ones, not the large red. I make marinated mushrooms (evoo, garlic and red wine vinegar) stuff with cream cheese mixed with garlic and scallions, and top with caviar. Also make hard boild eggs, thin slice on a cracker and top with caviar. MMMMMMMMMM

I can't remember what it was called but it was a cream cheese roll with both the red and black caviar garnished with chopped green onions. I was put off by the fact that they were fish eggs but the flavor was actually pretty good. It did have a fishy flavor but it wasn't intolerable. It's worth a try! :)

DampCharcoal said:
I can't remember what it was called but it was a cream cheese roll with both the red and black caviar garnished with chopped green onions. I was put off by the fact that they were fish eggs but the flavor was actually pretty good. It did have a fishy flavor but it wasn't intolerable. It's worth a try! :)

I have also had that DC, and it is good.

Bangbang said:
Never had it.

yum yum yum.
salty, a bit gritty, but not in a bad way, and semi very mild fishy.
I like the little tiny tiny caviar. Black, red or gold and I even bought some wasabi green from Serfa's here in Los Angeles. << It's a kitchen store of quite an experience.

Anyway, try caviar just once and maybe you'll catch the bug.
I make caviar pie every year for the holidays.
My kids asked me from the get go, "Mom, is this fish eggs?" I said a confident, "No, it's caviar." That was enough for them and the caviar pie never lasts more than an hour no matter who's devouring it.
This is wonderful at any holiday party. It will disappear, promise!

Caviar Pie

In a pie plate of glass I put:
On the bottom, a layer of softened cream cheese
next layer on top of ^^^ is 4 or 5 hard cooked eggs peeled and chopped
" " " " " ^^^ " a layer of sour cream
Now buy 3 jars of caviar, red, gold and black, the little tiny caviars
Dot the sour cream in many places with dots of all 3 colors
Slice 3 scallions on the diagonal in thin strips and sprinkle on top of caviar
Line a charger platter with fancy crackers of all sorts and place the pie plate in the center of the platter and dig in.
I hope you like this. So pretty, so festive and soooooo good!
Enjoy!

I liked it, norgeskog. It was served at a Jewish wedding reception so I'm not sure if it's a kosher dish (still trying to figure out kosher) or if it's just, well, something good to serve! :)

LEFSElover, that sounds better than the one my aunt does, calles it cowboy caviar, does the same thing but uses black beans tossed with garlic, evoo, chili powder. Yours sounds much better.

did you get the cloudberries yet???

Been around too many fish houses up north, and fished with too much as bait to ever want to eat the stuff....

John

Love the stuff. Fresh is best, if you can get it. Black is usually malossol. The stuff bought in supermarkets, off the unrefrigerated shelf is horrible stuff. Don't even think about eating that stuff. When it comes to salmon roe, I like to buy it frozen in 1 kilo packs.

When you eat caviar, it's like eating little pearls of ocean that burst in your mouth.

I would suggest staying away from Beluga. The sturgeon that Beluga caviar comes from is endangered and a lot of Beluga being sold is from the black market.

Osetra and Sevruga, while not as good as Beluga is more plentiful. American caviar is really coming on strong and I like it. It's reasonably priced and comes from farmed fish.

I prefer to eat my caviar on thin melba toast points or buckwheat blinis with creme fraiche.

We went to a very posh wedding about 10 years ago (bought expensive dress, rented a tux) in a very fancy hotel.

Before they set up for the wedding, they had stations set about, each one of which had great food, baby lamb chops at one, that sort of thing. (Remember that Jackie O when she married Ari had fetal lamb served at the reception. These chops were not that small, but were probably close).

One station had Beluga caviar and shots of fancy, chilled vodka.

This was apparently very good caviar, or so we were told.

One of us, who is not a fish eater at all, tried the caviar and did not appreciate it at all.

I enjoyed it, always sorta liked caviar, but have never thought it was all that good and not worth the price.

The vodka was good however.

But the experience saved me the price of a tin of caviar that I was thinking of buying to let the spouse try.

Psiguyy said:
Love the stuff. Fresh is best, if you can get it. Black is usually malosol. The stuff bought in supermarkets, off the unrefrigerated shelf is horrible stuff. Don't even think about eating that stuff. When it comes to salmon roe, I like to buy it frozen in 1 kilo packs.

When you eat caviar, it's like eating little pearls of ocean that burst in your mouth.

I would suggest staying away from Beluga. The sturgeon that Beluga caviar comes from is endangered and a lot of Beluga being sold is from the black market.

Osetra and Sevruga, while not as good as Beluga is more plentiful. American caviar is really coming on strong and I like it. It's reasonably priced and comes from farmed fish.

I prefer to eat my caviar on thin melba toast points or buckwheat blinis with creme fraiche.

How much is that stuff?

The last time I checked, a half pound can of the best Beluga cost about $800.

American Paddlefish Caviar, which I happen to like, is about $100 for 8 oz. An 8 oz. tin is actually a lot. Most restaurants consider a serving to be 1 oz.

I buy a kilo of salmon roe, frozen (actually ikura for sushi bars), for about $40, wholesale. This is enough to eat until you get tired of the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom