Canned baked beans. Oven or stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Typically when I jazz up a can of Bush's beans I do it all on the stove. I was wondering if there's anything to be gained from baking the beans. Does it lend more of a "homemade" taste to them?

I'd just keep on doing what you've been doing. You could put them in the oven but I doubt very much that would change anything..The beans are already to go when you open the can, adding something like I do can change the taste..I add some mustard, ketchup and either ham cubes or bacon if I want to jazz it up.. Really the best thing would be to start from scratch and make your own baked beans...:)
kadesma

I'd just keep on doing what you've been doing. You could put them in the oven but I doubt very much that would change anything..The beans are already to go when you open the can, adding something like I do can change the taste..I add some mustard, ketchup and either ham cubes or bacon if I want to jazz it up.. Really the best thing would be to start from scratch and make your own baked beans...:)
kadesma

I've got a great bean recipe that I posted here before, but it feeds about a dozen people and I would have had to start soaking the navy beans yesterday :LOL:

I guess the stove will be OK. For some reason I was thinking baking them might change the consistancy or something.

Thanks

I've got a great bean recipe that I posted here before, but it feeds about a dozen people and I would have had to start soaking the navy beans yesterday :LOL:

I guess the stove will be OK. For some reason I was thinking baking them might change the consistancy or something.

Thanks
Pa,
go ahead and bake them, gussy them up with some thing you like, let's say some brown sugar or molasses, a little mustard or sauted onions then bake em..See if you like them better..You just might..We all like to fool with our food and you never know when you will stumble on a keeper.
kadesma:)

Yeah, maybe I will. It'll mean dirtying up another dish, but what the heck, it all goes in the DW anyway. In that case I'll go back to the regular Bush's and not those new Grillin' beans.

Stay tuned.....

I do mine in the oven. I add a bit more mustard (yellow or dry), and sometimes a bit more onion (ok, a lot more onion), some ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, top with bacon and bake. If they are really liquidy from my additions I will bake uncovered for about an hour. I like mine to thicken up and have had to cook them another hour, but, I then cover them.

I add
bacon, onions, brown sugar, mustard and ketchup to mine..

And do it in the oven. Yummy!

I've got the bacon and onions going now, then I'm going to add the beans, mix it up, and put it all in a corning ware thing. Then I'll sprinkle some brown sugar on top. I usually don't do the brown sugar if I'm only cooking them on the stove. I keep getting this picture in my mind of "real" homemade oven baked beans where there is a light crust on top, like a thicker layer of beans. That's what I'm shootin for anyway.

I always put the raw bacon on top when I bake it. I cut it in squares and lay it in a single layer. The onion I put in raw also. In an hour or two it usually cooks enough. I'm curious to see how it comes out with sauteeing both first - let us know!!!

IMHO the crust on top is the bacon versus brown sugar. But hey, I'm willing to experiment.

This is my standard baked bean recipe. Two cans of Bush's Steakhouse Blend baked beans, 4-5 slices of thick bacon cooked crisp and crumbled, 1lb. kielbasa sliced 1/2" thick and fried to desired doneness, one small onion diced and cooked in same pan as bacon and kielbasa until tender or carmelized. Blend it all together and simmer for 30 minutes. It's yummy!

I do mine either way, depending on time. On the stove, I will add, ketchup, mustard and brown sugar.
In the oven, I will add the same plus some onion then lay raw bacon on top. What I like about the oven is that it will give the juices a little thickness to it.

I always put the raw bacon on top when I bake it. I cut it in squares and lay it in a single layer. The onion I put in raw also. In an hour or two it usually cooks enough. I'm curious to see how it comes out with sauteeing both first - let us know!!!

IMHO the crust on top is the bacon versus brown sugar. But hey, I'm willing to experiment.

Ohhhh.....
I'll keep you posted. Right now they're sitting on my porch railing waiting until the butt gets semi close to me thinking it will be done in a couple hours :wacko:

I do mine either way, depending on time. On the stove, I will add, ketchup, mustard and brown sugar.
In the oven, I will add the same plus some onion then lay raw bacon on top. What I like about the oven is that it will give the juices a little thickness to it.

That's what I was hoping! That's why I wanted to try heating them in the oven. I've thickened them up on the stove, but I was hoping the oven would do a better job.
Thanks Stacy.

they are much better in the oven .. IMO ..
onion , bacon (leftover pulled pork) molasses ,
brown sugar , garlic, mustard, bbq sauce ..
throw them on the smoker at 225 for a couple hours ..
they are great to add some cut up hot dogs to the next day ..

they are much better in the oven .. IMO ..
onion , bacon (leftover pulled pork) molasses ,
brown sugar , garlic, mustard, bbq sauce ..
throw them on the smoker at 225 for a couple hours ..
they are great to add some cut up hot dogs to the next day ..

I add hot dogs to them all the time. Get some bacon going, throw in some sliced hot dogs and some onions, then add the beans when they are pretty much cooked.... Oh yeah, Babe ;)
No room on the smoker, Q :(, or that's where they would be for sure.

I like to cook my "faux" homemade beans in the oven. I throw them in a bean pot and bake away. I think (imo KNOW) they thicken a little more. Your dinner, as always, sounds great. I really wish you lived closer!

I start with 3 or 4 cans of regular pork and beans, drained (or make my own using dried pea beans). Navy beans are too large and mealy for me. Add 6 to 8 slices of chopped bacon, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard and black pepper. Mix them all together and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes. They will thicken up very nicely and have a slightly crusty top. No onions, bbq sauce, smoked meats, or other seasonings. They come out great every time.

I gussie up mine with sauteed onions, spicy brown mustard, brown sugar, ketchup and then top them with bacon and bake them in the oven till the sauce gets nice and thick and the bacon is crisp.

72170954-177x150-0-0_.jpg
I guess these are what you speak off, we have Heinz or SPC but by far the best BB's made throughout the world are Watties, made in New Zealand ---- I say that because I haven't tried those you speak off

I haven't tried Bush's Grillin' Beans yet, Attie. I haven't figured out how to keep them from falling through the grate on the grill. :wacko:

So I put my beans in the oven for an hour at 350F. They tasted just as if I had cooked them on the stove, same consistancy. I'm guessing I should have left them in longer, but they were done and I was hungry :) The brown sugar I had on top cooked right down into them.

Back
Top Bottom