How much is 1 cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiecesOfGlass

Assistant Cook
I really hate having to ask, but how much is 1 cup?
Since I live in Sweden I'm not familiar with that term, here we just use deciliter..

And while I'm at it I might as well ask about another thing.. Tb=tablespoon and tsp=teaspoon, right?

A U. S. cup = 8 fluid ounces which = 236.59 milliliters or 2.37 deciliters.

You can go to Google and type in information for any conversion. I did: How many milliliters in 8 fluid ounces and got the answer.

Oh ok.. Sorry, usually I'm not very good at the whole searching thing; I always get the most bizarre hits.. But thanks a lot anyway :)

A U. S. cup = 8 fluid ounces which = 236.59 milliliters or 2.37 deciliters.

You can go to Google and type in information for any conversion. I did: How many milliliters in 8 fluid ounces and got the answer.

cara, I'm officially in love with you! :wub:
or well, ok, I'm not, but I'm very grateful! Thank you very much :flowers: (I don't know why, but I never seem to be able to find all those great sites :ermm:)

A lot of the cookbooks in my collection are British or European. In Canada we are "multilingual" when it comes to measurements so I do okay.

POG,,,,,,,,,,,,if you know any Americans have them bring you a measuring cup that has both the metric system on one side and the American on the other..........I've had to bring several measuring cups to the Kazakhs here..........

here in Germany you get these cups in some supermarkets - imperial and metric system on it..
you may look for it . I'm just wondering if it was Ikea where I saw it....

PiecesOfGlass - for future reference, since you live in Sweden and you're working on a cookbook, or a school project, or a cookbook for a school project - not sure which it is ...

OnlineConversion.com can probably answer all of your cooking related conversion questions. Between the Volume and Weight and Cooking sections - I've never found anything that I couldn't convert. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
just hang in there...........you can fill up a coffee cup like my grandmother did and that will do.......she didn't measure a ml of anything much less a decaliter..........and it still tasted fine.........just wished that I had the moxy and confidence.........she always had a spoon and taste-tested as she went along..........I guess we're slaves to recipes..........I am..........

Back
Top Bottom