What's your call sign

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Any one here have a amateur radio license?

If you do whats your call sign? i take my exam this upcoming saturday.

Breaker breaker this is the Bandit, come back?

ah that's a big 10-4, Bandit, this here's Smokie, and I'm gonna get you....

I had a ham radio as a kid, but Mother Nature decided that I didn't need it
anymore and sent a lightning bolt down the antenna wire.

Breaker breaker this here's Fry Baby.... psszzzzrrrtttcchhhhh.... sqwak offfsstt

I had a tech license, years ago and loved it.
I had passed my written general class and just never completed the code for it. This brings back fond memories. I could still listen to a short wave radio if I had the time. Good Luck and I hope you pass with flying colors. :chef:

I still enjoy listening to shortwave radio. I reckon once a DXer always a DXer.
Always wanted to get a ham rig...never had the money when I was younger....maybe...one of these days...........

Yeah The city of Draper added me to the communication emergency response team. my dad was supposed to do it but since he was in the ICU for a week, i took his spot.

kb1plb. Ill have to try and remember that. I have no idea how much a radio costs.

Yeah The city of Draper added me to the communication emergency response team. my dad was supposed to do it but since he was in the ICU for a week, i took his spot.

kb1plb. Ill have to try and remember that. I have no idea how much a radio costs.
Keeping it in a simple explanation;
Ham radio gear can be reasonable if you have an active club and they help each other out. I have seen others (online) try and get the same they paid for a radio 5 years ago. It can be an expensive hobby. http://www.hamradio.com/ & http://www.hamradio.com/ are the two biggest online sellers. If you just want to communicate within your local area you can get into VHF (very high freq.) and or UHF(ultra high freq.) for about 150-200 (new) with antenna... If you want to talk world wide that requires HF (high freq.) which starts with a more expensive radio and a taller antenna. As you can imagine the more modes, bells and whistles you want the more it cost. A set of extreme examples will be a hand held 5 watt radio will cost you around $100 and need an aftermarket antenna to work well and maybe a trunk mount antenna i you want to use it in you vehicle. On the other end of the spectrum the have the all mode radios that can pump out 400 watts and is made for contesting can cost $12,000 and then you can add an antenna... I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, just pointing out some facts. I joined my local club and they are a very nice bunch of people, but I don't really have the money to get more involved other than helping out where I can, until I can afford the gear. Good luck and enjoy the hobby. Oh yeah, there is also morse code, like you see in the old westerns that is very much alive in the hobby.

Good luck.

Thanx. ill have to look into those websites. I have to have a radio to be part of this. My goal is when i can afford it i wanna try moonbouce and satellite communication through oscar

I knew I remembered a thread on this. I heard something and thought I'd pass on local station info to you:

Marco Island Radio Club
Amateur Radio on Marco Island, Florida, in the western Gulf of Mexico. Club Station K5MI

I knew I remembered a thread on this. I heard something and thought I'd pass on local station info to you:

Marco Island Radio Club
Amateur Radio on Marco Island, Florida, in the western Gulf of Mexico. Club Station K5MI

sweet action. thanx. Im still waiting to get me radio. However, i want my own base station so i can try moon bounce and also try and talk to other countries. I wanna learn radio to a comfortable level

KE7YKL

I used to get into CB's back in college, but that was a long time ago and about as far as I went with it. Fun though, especially listening to all the truckers passing thru trying to find out if there were any college girls to talk to ;)
It was actually one of the interests the wife and I shared.. she was Eskimo Sally.. didn't get it at the time but now seems to make perfect sense... LMAO!!

My favorite thing to listen to on shortwave was an American jazz radio show from London. I have no idea if it is still on. I suspect the dj passed on. It was many, many moons ago.

An ex of mine was a ham. Shortwave was fun for a while, I just couldn't listen to all the conspiracy theorists.

My best friend's dad when I was in high school had a call sign. It was WB6ODO ~ and it scares me that I remember that nearly 30 years later. His name was Jim Godward.

Everytime I see Frequency, I think of him. I love that movie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom