Applesauce apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would like to make applesauce in a slowcooker/crockpot. I know the basic procedure of the recipe, I just need help with choosing the varieties of apples to use in it. I know certain varieties of apples are best suited for baking and others are best suited to be used in salads, eaten raw, or used to make sauce (or some apples are versatile and they can be used in baking,
to make sauce, used in salads.......with excellent results).

The original recipe calls for 8 apples. I'm increasing the amount to 9
so I can use 3 different varieties, and use 3 of each of them.
As stated previously, I'm unsure of what varieties of apples to use.
I'd like to use a mixture of apples so that one variety is sweet, one is tart, and one is a combination of both sweet and tart. Which varieties are best suited to make applesauce?

The ones I want to use are:

*Gala or Golden Delicious
*Granny Smith
*Cameo

I heard that Gala is an excellent choice for applesauce, but is it predominately sweet or just mildly sweet? Also is Golden Delicious a good choice for using in applesauce? My recipe calls for apple juice, and I'll be using unsweetened apple juice. Still I heard it's recommended you cut your sweetener if you're using golden delicious. Recipe calls for 2/3 cup originally. Should I cut the sugar?

I could use suggestions with what type of sweet-tart apple to use (a combination of both sweet and tart) that is best suited to make applesauce.

Below is a link for the recipe I plan to use:

Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce Recipe | Recipezaar

I make applesauce almost every year. I use the apples we hand picked at the orchard. I usually pick red delicious, macs, gala and golden delicious. I use a combination of whatever I have left after pies and hand eating.

Back
Top Bottom