Nancy Haughton's Black Bottom Tiramisu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
I have made this many times. It is a wicked-good-easy dessert. Perfect for an Italian or steak dinner. Think of it when you want to impress. Make sure that the mascarpone is at room temp and that the melted chocolate has cooled otherwise there will be streaking when the hot melted chocolate hits the cold mascarpone. I hope you enjoy the recipe. Nancy Haughton is a friend of a friend of mine, Judy Bart Kancigor and she graciously shares her recipes.
Pie Susan

Based on Nancy Haughton's Black Bottom Tiramisu (TNT D)
Serves 10-12; Incredibly fantastic

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups HEAVY CREAM
1 (17-1/2 ounces) container MASCARPONE
1/2 cup POWDERED SUGAR
1 cup + 3 tablespoons hot, freshly brewed ESPRESSO OR COFFEE 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons COFFEE-FLAVORED LIQUEUR
6 ounces (or 1 cup), melted and slightly cooled SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
1-1/2 packages (7 ounces) dry imported ITALIAN LADYFINGERS (Un Fagotto di Savoiardi) (I used closer to 14 oz of cookies)
1-1/2 tablespoons Dutch processed unsweetened COCOA POWDER

Directions:
Whip cream in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters until the whipping cream is stiff.
In a large bowl, combine cheese, powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons cool coffee and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur. Beat with an electric mixture on medium speed, until just blended for about 1 to 2 minutes but do not overbeat.
Fold the whipped cream into the cheese mixture. Then, divide the mixture in half and fold the melted chocolate into one of the halves until there are no white streaks remaining. This will be easier if the chocolate has been allowed to cool a bit.
Mix the remaining 1 cup of hot coffee and the remaining 1/4 cup of coffee liqueur in a pie plate. Choose enough ladyfingers to line the bottom of a 9" x 3" springform pan. Quickly dip them into coffee/liqueur mixture (dip quickly so they don't get wet and spongy). Line the bottom of the pan with dipped ladyfingers trimming as need be. Line inside edge of pan with undipped ladyfingers (trim them even with top of pan, and stand rounded side up around inside edge of pan). Then, brush the inside of the ladyfingers going around the pan with the coffee/liqueur mixture.
Spread the chocolate mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan. Cover with another layer of quickly-dipped ladyfingers cutting them to fit as need be, setting them dipped side up. Spread remaining white cheese mixture over the ladyfinger layer. Set springform pan on a double thickness of aluminum foil and bring the tin foil up around the edges of the pan to catch leaks. (Although it has never leaked for me) Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
To serve, loosen the Tiramisu by carefully running a knife around inside of the springform pan. Remove the sides of the springform pan. Sift dutched processed cocoa over the top. Don't make the pieces to large as this is a very rich dessert.

(I rewrote the directions)

Hey I'll try anything once!
Sounds incredible, thanks.
I usually make tiramisu for Christmas Eve dessert.

Hey I'll try anything once!
Sounds incredible, thanks.
I usually make tiramisu for Christmas Eve dessert.

This will be the hit of your dinner if you make it. I have had people go crazy for this tiramisu and request it several times in a few week period.

I've also subbed the coffee liquer with a mix of brandy (imagine that!) and a little amaretto.
outta this world, I bet the extra chocolate would even impress MY mother!
:)

You might also prepare the tiramisù with a cream of strawberries or red fruits,otherwise you might serve the classical tiramisù with a chocolate cream on top,it is very tasty !!
I also suggest you to use whisky instead of amarettto.This Italian cake is frequently made for any occasion,for Christmas we prepare Panettone or Pandoro/ Sweetbread.

Back
Top Bottom