Favorite pumpkin pie recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I want to make a really great pumpkin pie this year and so I am inquiring to find the best recipe(s) out there. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone here tried Cook's Illustrated's pumpkin pie recipes? They seem like quite a bit more work since they call for cooking the filling, etc. etc. and I am wondering if it is really worth it / results in a lot better pie?

Thanks.

The recipe on the back of the Libby's pumpkin pie can suits me to a T. But I'm a simple gal! I'm sure there will be some really good recipes popping up here.

Ok Yall Panco don't bake but I decided I want to make Pumkin Pie this year.... I have never made it before... Katie your recipe looks great but I do want to bake it....

I will use canned pumpkin and pre-made crusts.... so take those out of the variables..

The can recipe looks fine but I was wondering if anyone had some tips of small substitutions to make it come extra tasty... I was thinking of using fresh ginger instead of powder... also it calls for evaporated milk.... is there some sort of fresh cream I can use instead?

I made Libby's pumpkin pie a couple of weeks ago and used crystallized ginger instead of the powder. It was very good. I would be afraid that fresh ginger would have too sharp a taste for a dessert, but maybe not. Anyway, I've always used the Libby's recipe and we really like it :)

We're going to try Katie Marshmallw pumpkin pie this year. It looks good and fluffy. I don't make crust though so I'm going to use a premade grahm cracker one.

Well I went ahead and made the can recipe... I decided on TG Pumpkin Pie should taste like you expect it to.... I sort of felt like I was cheating though its too easy and everything is canned.... The whole thing took 15 min It came out way better than a supermarket PP (I made a little tester pie with the extras). I could probably have put more sugar and I overfilled the crust a bit but all and all I am pleased. Maybe next time I will be more ambitious

i love the eagle brand recipe for pumpkin pie. since we are all going to marie callenders for turkey day, i get to try theirs. yummy i am sure. when i said it was someone elses turn to do the dinner, they needed a restaurant to replace me. lol

A friend dropped by and gave me a bushel of assorted squashes. SO I decided to make a squash pie from scratch. For projects like this I always look at this antique cook book we have (circa 1900) that almost always has recipes for scratch cooking. Well, I came across a pumpkin/squash pie recipe that looked pretty normal except it also included the juice and zest of one lemon. So I gave it a shot and couldn't have been more pleased with the results. It really brightens up the filling.

Mike

Mike, winter squash pies are wonderful! First time I had one was in Massachusetts.

The latest Gourmet Magazine has an article how old cookie recipes are comforting. There is suppose to be one cookie from every year that Gourmet has been published posted on their website. It would be fun to go through them.

I think your squash pie sounds really wonderful!

Susan,

The book I got the recipe from is "The Settlement Cook Book". I have used it for a number of different recipes. In a way it is a shme that we have moved away from scratch ingredient recipes.

Mike

Mike, "The Settlement Cookbook, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" was one of the first cookbooks that my mom bought when she married my father in 1951. I don't have a first edition but I also bought a used copy from the 1920s. That is an excellent cookbook!!!! I grew up baking from it. Woo hoo!!!!

I use the Libby's and it turns out great every time. I use a glass deep dish pie pan. The recipe fills it just right.

I will list the ingredients for the pumplin or squash pie from my mom's version of the cookbook. Is this the recipe that you made, Mike?
Squash or Pumpkin Pie ingredients:
1-1/2 cups strained or canned or cooked pumpkin or squash
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
grated lemon rind if desired.

I know it adds and extra step, but I also heat my canned pumpkin (with all the spices) in a pot until just over warm to the touch. I find that it takes the tin-taste away.

Back
Top Bottom