My parents are coming....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Film at 11:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, my parents are coming for a visit on the 5th of December. You just know I'm going to have lots lots lots to say about that.

If my mother mentions the word 'stew' one more time, she might not make it out of the airport alive.

Gotta get back to my sazerac, but I'll keep you posted on the travel itinerary of Marianne and Jim. I suggest we all start drinking heavily.

xox:winkiss:

lol... Can't wait to hear all the details. I'm sure you'll have an interesting time. : )

Hey Vera, try not to stew on their impending visit too much. *running and giggling madly before Vera throws a drink*

I have a great answer Vera, Barbara and I will come up too, we can give you a rest from some of it so you won't be like this:w00t2:or this :dizzy: or this :eek:.

We really hope all goes better than that for you, and you have a great time.:chef:

They managed to live through you, so I'm sure you'll manage to live through them. Make sure to have your doilys and slipcovers all neat and in place. Oh, and wear your best house dress and apron for Mommy Dearest. Are they like June and Ward Cleaver?:ROFLMAO: I can loan you an extra stew pot if need be. And I have a great recipe as well.
img_730822_0_85aabb3015459a6945209d5cbb34437f.gif

I'll call out the Captain on your behalf...Captain Morgan, that is!:LOL: Just think of all the material you'll have to talk about when they go back home. I'll be teaching a bread baking class to 12 women that night...my own penance for my unconfessed sins.

Stew?? there must be a story there. Just be relaxed and enjoy the company. Don't forget the vent channel if you need it. Have fun and I look forward to your posts.

Last my parents visited was Thanksgiving, last year. If you recall, they came with my sister, her husband, their son, and two golden labs. The dogs apparently have separation anxiety and continued to cry for her while safely ensconced in my finished and comfy warm basement.
Lou and I visited them in Florida at the end of September. A very nice visit, we spent one day in Savannah and the rest of the time eating or getting ready to eat.
My parents are very active for their age, both 72. After knowing them all these years, I've discovered my mother has always wanted to be a german jew and my father has delusions of being a stand up comic. Strange combination for a couple who have been together since 1956. Neither one of them can sit still for more than 15 minutes at a clip. My mother likes to change things all the time. If you are invited to dinner in March, you'll be dining on a new tablecloth. If you are invited back in April, the curtains will be new, as will the carpet in the front hallway. Go back in May and you might discover the whole house has been moved 6 inches to the left, a new car in the driveway and probably another new tablecloth. For the record, some of that rubbed off on me.

This christmas trip wasn't actually expected. They suffered an unfortunate incident in October and finally getting back into their very active routines. I suggested they visit with me for a month or so, but they opted for just 10 days in December. I'll be having my head examined any day now.

Initially, they planned to drive. I say 'they' as though I am suggesting they would share the driving responsibility. My mother, who when not crashing her LTD into my father's garage door (this was in the late 70s, we never let her forget) was always a competent driver. She simply doesn't desire to drive much any longer. Sure, she'll drive to the store if she has to, but recent knee surgery has even curtailed that. No, she's a passenger in every sense of the word. Naturally, I was concerned that my father would be too physically taxed doing a drive all the way from Jacksonville, FL to Little Ferry, NJ. They planned to make stops and overnight stays along the way and essentially had 'it all figured out'. Sure.

Now, they are flying, coming in on Friday, the 5th at 2pm into Newark. When I first got this news, I was still gainfully employed and wondered how they would get from the airport to my home. My mother, you gotta love her, actually suggested my ex husband take the time off work to pick them up. Honestly, if I asked him I know he'd do it. I just have no intention of asking him to inconvenience himself like that. Lou suggested he'd take an early exit from his job in Philadelphia to pick them up and again, 'it was all figured out'. Well, I'm still languishing as a guest of the state, so I am free to pick them up, myself, and besides, Lou has to be in Harrisburg PA, that day, so he'd never be able to get to Newark on time. And again, 'it's all figured out'.

Now that there is a charge for any luggage that is checked, my parents are planning to visit for 10 days with just carry ons. Can't say that I blame them, but I cannot deign to pretend that my mother can actually pack for a 10-day trip using just carryons. She is the queen of overpacking, early packing, and just plain packing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she has 10 carry on pieces and insists that perfect strangers carry one for her onto the plane.

So, they're almost here. When they heard I am suffering an occupation challenge they suggested it wasn't a good time for a trip. Nonsense, I said, come anyway, we'll have a good time. The idea of being home all day, for 10 days, without gainful employment is daunting enough. Doing it with Marianne and Jim underfoot may be terrifying.

Did I mention I've been scheduled to have my head examined?

I do have two nice day trips planned to NYC, however. First will be on Saturday, the 6th. We'll take them to see the tree and head over to Delta Grille for some great cajun. The next weekend we'll take them to the Botanical Gardens to see the christmas train display and then head over to Enzo's on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx for some great italian.

I swear, though, if my mother tries to make her watery, completely lacking in flavour or depth beef stew I may not need my head examined. I'll just need a really good lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom