Moderators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
So i have offten wondered how you become a moderator of a forum such as this one. Is it a paid job? Who owns the forums? Who is in cahrge of picking moderators? How does it all work?

Thanx.

The only pay we get is the kind words from the members :)

Andy R. is the owner of the site. He owns a number of different sites. If you go to the bottom of this page on the left side you will see a blurb that says:

"Other Social Knowledge forum communities" and then lists a number of links. Those are Andy's other sites.

When we feel there is a need for a new moderator the Admins (Alix, Kitchenelf, and myself) will have a discussion. We will decide if there is a need and then we will discuss who would fit the need. We usually run this by the other moderators as well for their input.

There are a number of factors that come into play when we choose a new mod. Among the reasons are things like familiarity with the site, fairness, physical location (we like to have mods in all different time zones so there is usually someone on who can help members at any time), how they interact with other members, an interest in being a mod, which often times means less participation on the site as a member and more behind the scenes work, and many other things.

And we don't have to pay for the privilege either. After the initial entrance fee, of course!

To be a moderator, is therre a certain amount of time you have to spend on the forums? How does it work around a normal word day for some people. Im lucky enough to get on the forums here at work but thats because i have my own office and no one can see me.

Do you know Andy R personally?

To be a moderator, is therre a certain amount of time you have to spend on the forums? How does it work around a normal word day for some people. Im lucky enough to get on the forums here at work but thats because i have my own office and no one can see me.

Do you know Andy R personally?
Well there are no set rules around how much time you need to spend on DC, but we try to pick people who are on frequently enough to make it worth while. If someone only comes on once a week then it probably would not make much sense for them to be on the staff. Most of our staff is on daily or close to it.

We know Andy R as well as we know other members here. I have never met him in person, but he is active in the staff forums and by PM and email as well. He has always been available to answer any questions we have of him or address anything that needs addressing.

interesting. I have always wanted to know how it all works but always forgot to ask.

Does your guys screen look different than what mine displays when i log into the forums?

Thanx

Matt Thomas

Out screens look the same, but we just have a few more menu options that you guys do not have. We also have some forums where we can discuss things to help us make decisions.

We can change water into wine, which explains why we are alwasy in a good mood.

Then there is the "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" thing but that's kind of old hat nowadays.

The Admins have x-ray vision but won't share with the mods.

We are not allowed to have firearms.

IMHO, the Mods/Admins most important job is keeping this a family friendly site, and sending trolls, derelicts, dorks and other strange creatures on their merry way, hopefully never to be seen again. For that I am very thankful.

It is a lot more exciting when you don't know what is in there, trust me.

Here are some of the thread titles just to give you an idea...

New Feature - Embedded You Tube videos
Outstanding Site Issues
Are PMs not working?
Idea for New Forum

Nothing very exciting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom